• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Register for the picture framer's grumble

Using rare earth magnets

Frances M.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
A regular customer would like to hang a couple of her grandmother's kitchen utensils near the her stove which could be used, cleaned and re- hung easily. I suggested using the rare earth magnets but now not sure it if that would work. Does it require both the backing and the piece to be hung to have magnets or would a metal utensil be held tight by magnets behind whatever substrate she uses? She wants a frame around it and I warned her it would have to be really attached to the wall if she wanted easy-on easy-off usage.

IFGL

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I have my wrenches for my saw stuck to the side of the saw using rare earth magnets and it's fine, they do not move, although they are stuck directly to the magnets , I did try putting them behind the case first that did not work.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
She wants something that will look like she had them framed, but will still be able to use them and put them back in frame. But I'll mention this.
Then it will either have to be a whopping large frame that is larger than the largest utensil or the mounting will have to be proud of the frame by enough so that the twisting to remove the utensil from the magnet will not touch the frame.

Plan B. Frame a magnetic knife holder. Again it will have to be proud of the frame.

One like this wouldn't need a frame.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
You could cover the magnets with a thin soft fabric so the utensils don't get scratched, but you may have to do some kind of build up from the mount to accommodate the shape of each utensil. If the magnets are going to protrude, there are plastic caps available to prevent scratching.
I buy from https://www.kjmagnetics.com/product...c6jEfadfRukrhZTI_4oy5STBNkf6jbUMaAvSOEALw_wcB
but there are other suppliers.
The counter sunk washer style magnets would work nicely for this project. Each size and shape has the pulling force listed. It needs to be well above the weight of the utensil being hung since they will tend to slide down from gravitational force.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I like Wally's plan.

Before I got to it I thought that if you used a sink mount with Larry's magnetic knife holder, then covered it with fabric, it would blend pretty well. It would still need to be proud of the backing to accommodate the handles of the tools.

I like the concept.

Frances M.

Then it will either have to be a whopping large frame that is larger than the largest utensil or the mounting will have to be proud of the frame by enough so that the twisting to remove the utensil from the magnet will not touch the frame.

Plan B. Frame a magnetic knife holder. Again it will have to be proud of the frame.

One like this wouldn't need a frame.

Frances M.

Will show her those but they are small and not knives. One is a pastry mixer - can't remember the exact name and the other is something small and metal. Won't need to be big, just securely fastened to wall.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
If you have a picture of the things needing to be framed, we might all come up with different ideas.
I probably would be tempted to make an “open shelf” frame. Like a bookcase, but smaller and a frame around it. You can use shelves, hooks,etc. depending on the things that need to go in there.

I love rare earth magnets, but not sure if that is the right application for this project

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Dirk

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
First question is whether the tools are ferrous (containing iron). The magnets will not attract copper or aluminum.

Frances M.

First question is whether the tools are ferrous (containing iron). The magnets will not attract copper or aluminum.
Magnets stick. She still has utensils so I haven't done much more than discuss with her until she comes back in. Just trying to get a bit ahead of her!

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Is she good with a frame that has no glazing? If so, the utensils could hang from a separate substrate, with wall space out past that, and the frame as just a decorative surround. You could route spaces inside the backs of the frame legs for whatever hangers you use, so it's flush to the wall. Or, if she wants it to look more like all one thing, the backing substrate could fill the whole frame back.

Also, is she fine with the frame getting a little loved on, being in a kitchen? Unless it's a super big one, they can get steamy and greasy, and most frames aren't made for that. (Thanks for putting up with me writing this, which you likely already know. Just trying to think of helpful questions.) :)

Frances M.

[

Also, is she fine with the frame getting a little loved on, being in a kitchen? Unless it's a super big one, they can get steamy and greasy, and most frames aren't made for that. (Thanks for putting up with me writing this, which you likely already know. Just trying to think of helpful questions.) :)
[/QUOTE]

Definitely no glass - she just wants a nice "surround" for them to be placed. Will have to be grease tolerant!

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com