Underpinner recommendations

pozzello

Grumbler
From
Montreal
Business
Artist
What new or used underpinner would you recommmend ? I’m and artist (not a commercial framer) and make my own frames for my artwork but I want a machine that does a professional job

Paul

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
From
Cincinnati, OH
If you are not making a volume of frames, a foot-operated underpinner may be sufficient for your needs. If you want to go with a pneumatic one, though, I would recommend the ones sold under the names ITW Amp (now sold by Fletcher), Alfamacchine, etc. They are very durable, and are modular, so if they ever need repairs you can do them yourself, and parts are readily available. I had an AMP VN2+1 for many years, and last year replaced it with the current version of the same machine, the Fletcher U-300. I have been very happy with it.
:cool: Rick

BTW, you might find a good deal on a used one. Check on the Commercial forum here on the Grumble, or call AIM Equipment.

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
From
Suburban Central Ohio
thanks for the recommendations @Rick Granick - I found a VN2+1 locally in excellent condition with stand and table for $1495 - is that a fair price ?
Yes, $1,500 would be fair for a VN2+1 in "good" condition with the factory-option floor stand. So, "excellent" condition for that price is a very good deal. Consider the table to be free.

Rick Granick

Forum Donor
Resource Provider
From
Cincinnati, OH
I paid $2215 for my U300 in April of 2021 from my local International distributor. They have machinery sales a couple of times a year.

pozzello

Grumbler
From
Montreal
Business
Artist
I went to see it and it was in exceptional condition. He threw in a bunch of accessories and some 15000 nails so I’m pleased :)

Quick question about the machine - is it safe to store in below freezing temperatures ?

Rick Granick

Forum Donor
Resource Provider
From
Cincinnati, OH
You might want to pack it in some insulation..., maybe wrap in blankets and cover with plastic. I'm thinking cold temps might cause lubricants to gel, or moisture condensation could cause surfaces to rust.
Seems like machinery, like art, has a similar "comfort zone" to what we humans have.

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
From
Suburban Central Ohio
Quick question about the machine - is it safe to store in below freezing temperatures ?
I wouldn't.

However, some situations seem worse than others. If you intend to wrap it up as Rick suggests and keep it in a steady, stable environment just a few degrees below freezing, then my untested guess is that it would be OK.

On the other hand, if the temperature goes far below the freezing mark, or if temperature fluctuates often, or if you plan to take it out of storage and warm it up for a few days every so often, then I'm pretty sure the expansion/contraction cycles would be destructive. Or, if you plan to operate the machine in below freezing temperatures, that might also cause problems.

pozzello

Grumbler
From
Montreal
Business
Artist
Thanks for your insights guys. I checked the manual for the U-300 and lists the acceptable temperatures. I live in Canada and work out of my garage that I only heat while working. As long as I warm it a up a few hours ahead of time I think I should be good:

Maximum ambient air temperature
+40°C / 104°F

Minimum ambient air temperature
5°C / 41 °F (with electrical equipment protection rating of at least IP54)
0°C / 32 °F (with electrical equipment protection rating lower than IP54)

Ambient working temperature
+5°C / 41°F < T < +45°C / 113°F

Transport and storage temperature
between -25°C / -13 °F and +55°C / 131°F (temperatures of up to +70°C/158°F are admissible for periods of less than 24 h)