Underpinner Advice

ddietrich

Grumbler in Training
Business
Home
I am a photographer who wants to get into low volume framing and would probably be doing around 100 frames per year. I have been looking at used underpinners (for cost control) and I am not sure which one might fit my needs - the table top models look appealing because my space is tight. Would the Mitre-Mite VN2+1 be a good unit for the volume I want? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks…

All of my underpinner experience has been with Amp VN4 units.
I believe the VN2+1 is relatively similar.
It should definitely be useful for you, but may be more than you need for about 8 frames a month.

The VN2+1 is an excellent machine. I had one for many years, and replaced it a couple of years ago with a new U-300 which is the direct replacement for the VN2+1.
You may be able to find a good used VN2+1 either here on the Commercial forum, or possibly from AIM Equipment, which specializes in used framing equipment. If your budget allows, go for the new U-300.
:cool: Rick

As I am browsing around the used underpinners that are available, one other question comes to mind. I see some Cassese units but I don't see that vnails/wedges are readily available in the USA. Are there USA suppliers of Cassese vnails. The same question would apply to replacement parts since I am very likely looking at a used unit to reduce the cost. It looks like Europe has many options but that could be slow and costly to ship to the states.

As I am browsing around the used underpinners that are available, one other question comes to mind. I see some Cassese units but I don't see that vnails/wedges are readily available in the USA. Are there USA suppliers of Cassese vnails. The same question would apply to replacement parts since I am very likely looking at a used unit to reduce the cost. It looks like Europe has many options but that could be slow and costly to ship to the states.
There are many companies and moulding suppliers who carry Cassese v nails.
I am using a Mitre Mite now but I used 2 Cassese 299 models for the last 9 years and we were always able to get the nails from local moulding suppliers.
Active sales is an excellent place to get parts and v nails..
also...

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing out obvious to me :) I see now Larson Juhl has stock in Denver - not sure why I didn't look there first, duh...

Thanks for pointing out obvious to me :) I see now Larson Juhl has stock in Denver - not sure why I didn't look there first, duh...
I've been in Phoenix since 1987 (still framing) but I framed in Denver from 1977 - 1987.
I have friends in Telluride and I skied there many years ago before they had the airport and the ski village. :cool:

Telluride is a pretty area, I should get down there more often. I'm a midwesterner who migrated to Colorado (north of Denver) about 17 years ago. I've had a part time photography business for about 13 years selling in a few gallerys and doing some art festivals. I'm pretty well equiped with Fletcher cutters and a Wizard 8000 CMC. Looking to target a low price point festival by doing my own frames to keep the cost down, maybe 100 to 150 frames for the one show. Beyond that, the underpinner would get very light use. If you know anybody selling an underpinner near Colorado, let me know :) Most of the ones I see available are 12 hours away or further which makes it a tough purchase.

Telluride is a pretty area, I should get down there more often. I'm a midwesterner who migrated to Colorado (north of Denver) about 17 years ago. I've had a part time photography business for about 13 years selling in a few gallerys and doing some art festivals. I'm pretty well equiped with Fletcher cutters and a Wizard 8000 CMC. Looking to target a low price point festival by doing my own frames to keep the cost down, maybe 100 to 150 frames for the one show. Beyond that, the underpinner would get very light use. If you know anybody selling an underpinner near Colorado, let me know :) Most of the ones I see available are 12 hours away or further which makes it a tough purchase.
I started framing in Chicago in 1969 and moved to Denver in 1977.
You might check with Steve at Aim. He's on the Grumble and I have worked with him before.
They broker used and new equipment and they can handle shipping if necessary or they might have a client selling closer to you.

Yes, on the parts and wedges for the Cassese units! I replaced two of the soft "bungs" from Larson Juhl, but there are other sources for parts and supplies. Other frame material vendors that sell to non Brick and Mortar shops carry the wedges and more. I've used both machines the AMP and the Cassese. They are much like "what is better - Ford or Chevy?" The small frame business I bought came with a Casesse - zero problems for ten years so far. Used is a great way to go, but they are heavy to ship. Where in Colorado are you?

Back