• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Unconventional Request

Stephen Enggass

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
I had a client ask me today if they could do a traditional mat set-up (window) but mount it into a floater frame with no glass. I’ve never seen this approach. I’m sure it could be done but I’ve just never seen it. Thoughts?

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Run, don't walk......................away.

Mat will get dirty over time.

Stephen Enggass

Yeah. I told her we would need glass... I just wanted to mention it here as I’d never seen it before.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Glass and a floater frame are not working either, you will have to add another frame to the floater frame.

I like building up floater frames with regular frames, stacking with a fillet works nicely as well.

What is her reason for the mat and floater frame combination? Maybe she would like a more interesting design, which you can achieve with stacking frames

bruce papier

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
You could do it by mounting the artwork and mat to a piece of black gatorfoam or similar substrate and put a set of strainers on the back, but the mat is going to have to be really tightly glued to the substrate or stuff going to separate. And what Larry said.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
...and how would you hold the glass in the floater frame?

..As Nancy used to say, "Just say no."

Stephen Enggass

I would not be using floater... she had asked for that but I said it would not work as we needed glass. Building up would be one option...

David Hewitt

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
We have done a lot of art in floater frames without glass. (oil on canvas for example) Fabric, leather, suede, even formica has lots of design and color options to be used as backgrounds. As said, the elements can affect it, use riged moisture resistant materials. Think of it as if it were a piece of furniture. The item shown is mat made out of Formica, and is about 30 years old. 956EDE18-8917-4695-97E8-EDBA88B3129D.jpeg

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
What medium is being framed? Is it on paper?

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.
Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding