• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Tyvek type paper

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

simplymatted

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I can assume some out their use Tyvek on the back of frames. A couple questions come to mind. How do you attach it to the back and where do you buy it
without the logo on the paper?

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Uline carries it in white and black.

We don't use it that often, we mostly use Lineco paper for backing.

Uline is a good resource for protective corners, plastic bags, ATG tape, towels and many other products that can be useful in the framing business.

Last edited:

Freddy L

Grumbler in Training
up here, I get my materials from Larson Juhl (boards, cardboard corners etc..) or local art stores. Tempted to try Tyvek but it's super pricey !

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Uline - good price, great weight and no printing on it what-so-ever. You can get it in Black or White and in 36" or 45". I use 3M Scotch ATG 969 to attach it but 3M Scotch ATG 924 works too. I like the more aggressive ATG 969 just to be sure the Tyvek doesn't let loose. Tyvek is breathable and the critters don't try to eat it or make a home in it

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
It also doesn't tear like paper does.
I just use ATG tape and then burnish it down so the adhesive grabs. ATG is like PMA in that it needs to be burnished to make it stick.
If I have to remove it later, it usually shreds instead of peeling off, so the ATG grabs it as well as paper.

I get mine from Frameware. Their website is somewhat messed up right now so it's better to just call them with any order.
I have 3 rolls in the shipping pipeline right now..

Yes, it is more expensive than any paper but, it looks better, and it doesn't tear. As for the expense, just bump your assembly charge by a few dollars.
No one will run screaming from your store because of your prices increased a few dollars more.

One thing to know.. Tyvek comes in different thicknesses. The heavier stuff is usually used for packing and crating and the thinner is used for framing.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Lafontsee

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Super sticky ATG seems to be better for attaching the tyvek. Most of the time we're applying tyvek because we're concerned about the dust cover being punctured on pieces that get handled more often. The super sticky ATG ensures that it holds better if it gets pushed on.

James

snafu

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
We use atg with a small bead of glue

Conservator
At the ICA, we made self-contained ‘mat package’s, with a piece of Coroplast on the back, all taped together with 3M 415? tape. They were units that didn’t need frames or dust covers. They usually got frames. There are always exceptions to the rule, but I don’t remember ever putting on a dust cover,

More to the subject, Search results for "ttyvek" https://www.talasonline.com/search?keywords=ttyvek

It’s conservation grade, they pack things up like they’re making jousting armor, so it’s expensive.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Uline - good price, great weight and no printing on it what-so-ever. You can get it in Black or White and in 36" or 45". I use 3M Scotch ATG 969 to attach it but 3M Scotch ATG 924 works too. I like the more aggressive ATG 969 just to be sure the Tyvek doesn't let loose. Tyvek is breathable and the critters don't try to eat it or make a home in it
We use the 969 ATG as well for Tyvek.
We don't use the Tyvek that often, mostly we use the Lineco paper for backing.
The Tyvek is used just for certain situations.

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only
Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC