• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Tool help. Master Clamp U.S.A.

James M.

Grumbler in Training
I recently came into these framing tools and would like some information on them.

I couldn't find much about these but think they're V4s?

Also this clamp that says Bessey GS 11. Made in Austria.

I also got these Stanley No. 400 clamps. Good, bad, just old?

Any info is appreciated.

Attachments

wvframer

RIP
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Those Stanley vises are something you will be glad you have! I gladly paid $200 for a set of 4 and have seen them sell for more. They haven't been manufactured for a long time and they are getting kind of rare. I have several more modern vises, but I still love and use those Stanley 400s. The majority of my joining is done on an underpinner, but I still use vises a for specialty frames

I have heard lots of people praise the Bessey clamp, but I have never used one.

Those look like parts to the Masterclamp, but I can't tell if it is all there. I have only seen them at shows.

There are lots of people here that can tell you more about them.

James M.

Grumbler in Training
Those Stanley vises are something you will be glad you have! I gladly paid $200 for a set of 4 and have seen them sell for more. They haven't been manufactured for a long time and they are getting kind of rare. I have several more modern vises, but I still love and use those Stanley 400s. The majority of my joining is done on an underpinner, but I still use vises a for specialty frames

I have heard lots of people praise the Bessey clamp, but I have never used one.

Those look like parts to the Masterclamp, but I can't tell if it is all there. I have only seen them at shows.

There are lots of people here that can tell you more about them.
Thank you for the quick reply. I have been wanting to make a few basic frames and these were posted in my neighborhood group as free porch pickup. The post was two hours old so I was surprised it was all still there. Got a bunch of blades as well.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Like Greg said, those vices are gold!

I have a few for some of my frame jobs and glad to have them. I have never used the clamp system but know some people on here have and love them.

Welcome to the G!

DVieau2

PFG, Picture Framing God
Thank you for the quick reply. I have been wanting to make a few basic frames and these were posted in my neighborhood group as free porch pickup. The post was two hours old so I was surprised it was all still there. Got a bunch of blades as well.
Free porch pick up!!!! ARGGGGGGGG. 🤑
Old Stanleys are better and more expensive than new Chinese knockoffs.
Masterclamps are expensive and well made but I prefer the Sanley.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Those Stanley 400s are worth at least $50 each.
Even with the rust which can be cleaned or even just left.
They are cast iron which gets surface rust very easily if any water gets on it.
I have 6 myself and our shop has a few more.

It's interesting that 2 of the vises have a "speed handle" on the right.
I also have "speed handle" on the right on 2 of my Stanleys that are from the early 1980s.
I replaced the original handles myself (I still have them) with the "speed handles"

This goes back to when we used to drill and finish nail the frame corners after applying glue.
I, and others, would use a hand drill to make a pilot hole for a finishing nail, always on the right side of each corner.
The original Stanley handles would get in the way and block getting the drill in straight, hammering in the nails and using a nail set so we replaced them with the smaller diameter "speed handles"

wvframer

RIP
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Porch pickup!!! Thank your lucky stars and your neighbors. You need to cut their grass or do their shopping more than once. And maybe feed the neighborhood cat, too.

You are blessed with great neighbors. :)

If you need help making frames, don't hesitate to ask.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Porch pickup!!! Thank your lucky stars and your neighbors. You need to cut their grass or do their shopping more than once. And maybe feed the neighborhood cat, too.

You are blessed with great neighbors. :)

If you need help making frames, don't hesitate to ask.
I must be living in the wrong neighborhood...
I've never found any excellent vintage Stanley 400 vises on any porches...
Dog poop on my front lawn, Yes!
Just No vises in the area...:shrug:

And, yes...
There is a ton of help available on the Grumble for just about any question you may have about framing.
Feel free to ask.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202