• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Register for the picture framer's grumble

Tone down the gold.

DVieau2

PFG, Picture Framing God
I have a good amount of Yellowish Gold Moulding, all of very nice quality . Yellow Gold gets rejected very quickley so I wondering what kind of "easy to use" finish could I apply to add a brownish, bronzish finish.

Some of the moulding has rottenstone applied.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Easy to use might be relative.
You could brush on a watered down umber acrylic paint wash or you can get a walnut spray stain and just give it a misting with the stain.
I like the umber acrylic wash because you can control it and just wash it off if it's not quite right and try again until it's right.
You can seal the acrylic wash if you want with a gloss, satin or matte spray like Krylon.
I usually tone the moulding in length before cutting, cut and join and then seal after it's joined.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I tried to find the set I ordered two years ago, which was a sample set with all the colors. Seems that is no longer available.
I use a lot of the “antique gold”. I will check tomorrow when I’m back in the store

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Design Master has spray tints that seem to stick to anything I have tried. Very fast. But the Rub 'n Buff can be removed to get you to just the right tint. It also sticks to about anything.

I have used the wood tone of Rub 'n Buff to take some of the brassiness off of gold frames. But there are also some dark gold that might work well.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Burnt Umber paint was what i was taught to use to tone down gold leaf. Brush it on and then wipe it off and it tones down the highlights as well as giving depth to the nooks and crannies.

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
It depends on the finish of the moulding. I had an artist customer who liked a cheap(ish) gold moulding which had a bright yellow gold foil finish. I toned it down by wiping it over with an oil based walnut wood stain which bit though the lacquer and gave a more mellow bronze colour and I them sprayed the sticks with a satin varnish from a rattle can.

It was a bit tricky getting an even treatment and I charged extra for the fiddling around plus the odd spoiled stick.

prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Raw Shellac (Button Polish) works sometimes, although it can impart an 'orangey' tint depending on
the moulding. There are darker shades (Garnet) that you can intermix. De-grease the surface of the
moulding first and start with a dilution with Methylated spirit. It dries quickly so don't let pools form.

cjmst3k

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Wouldn't acrylic peel off fairly easily?

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

kenfz6

Grumbler
I am a big fan of the Mohawk line of aerosol laquers. lots of different colored tints and solids to play with.

Sonny

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Mohawk Furniture refinishing products makes spay cans in things like umber, raw umber, and stain colors like oak, dk walnut etc. You can give the moulding a light misting evenly out of these cans and change the gold to pretty much any color you want. Works like a charm you just need to experiment.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Mohawk Furniture refinishing products makes spay cans in things like umber, raw umber, and stain colors like oak, dk walnut etc.
Just what I need; a raw umber cat. 😁

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Framar

WOW Framer
If you already have some acrylic paint and do not have time to go hunting down new products, and you might be worried about the acrylic sticking to the finish, spray down the moulding with a light mist of matte spray from a rattle can. This helps the acrylic stick, and it also allows you to wipe off a lot or a little without destroying the original finish.

Make a mistake - wipe off the paint and start over again. If you have it, rottenstone can be reapplied. Or not.

At least spraying the moulding with matte spray before you start the toning allows you a bit of leeway.

Register for the picture framer's grumble