To tack or not to tack...

Donna at MetroAF

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I have had this question a lot lately. When framing jerseys/shirts, etc., do you tack with the EZ Tack, or hand stitch?

I have done both, sometimes on the same piece. I find that the EZ tack is indeed easy. It helps to hold a piece in place, so if I deem it necessary to stitch, it makes my day go a whole bunch better.

However, I have heard that the tacking can damage the fabric. I can see the logic in this, it is designed to pierce the fabric. But this is the same thing retail clothing stores use to tag their items.

I will always stitch delicates (doilies, silks, etc.), and large, heavy fabrics also get stitch reinforcement. But Baseball jerseys, soccer jerseys, bike jerseys and shirts are so light.

So, what do you do?

I usually do both. Tack where it is invisible and lace with matching thread where it's more visible. The sewing is stronger in my opinion and you can "snug it up" where needed. Tacking is quick and allows me to do the job more economically.

I seriously thought this thread was going to be about sailing... ;)

Starboard!

Dave Makielski

I always sew. You don't want to hear my purist views about the Evil Tack, um, EZ Tack. I know I am in the very small minority, but I prefer to do it more conservatively. (I was gonna say, "do it right" but I knew that would bring wrath upon my head, and I like all you guys.) So go ahead, use it. Just not in my shop...

Ok, have not done any thing with jerseys, shirts, etc.....but would love to try it.....I still have my daughters first doll (all cloth)_ and would like to do something with it.........now.....what is easy tack?????
JIBE!!!!!!!!!!

The EZ Tack gun is actually a quilting notion, originally. It dispenses the "I"-shaped plastic tag holders you see on clothing you buy.

For the doll, absolutely stich it. The EZ would probably tear the fabric.

The EZ worked great on the two football jerseys I did. They were very light weight; however, I always tape down the back T where it shoots through to prevent its coming back through and releasing from the front. On heavier items (Boy Scout Uniform), I broke two needles ($$$$$) and quickly realized sewing was the only way to go. I have learned to pick and choose my battles when it comes to EZ Tack vs stitching.

I think the tool you all are referring to is the Attach-EZ.

Fletcher sells another kit that might be the EZ Tack. I have one, but I am uncertain of what it's called.

Yes, Ron. That is it! The term we were using was I guess from "the power of suggestion" from the initial question. :rolleyes:

Fine Fabric Attach-EZ
Microtach Attach-EZ

Yes, Ron is correct. What your are referring to is Attach-EZ. It is also correct to say that these tools are what stores have been using for tagging clothing for over 50 years. The difference is that the fasteners used for mounting jerseys or doilies are the depth needed to keep a tight hold when going through fabric, mat boards, and substrait. There are different schools of thought about sewing verses Attach-EZ.

Sewing is considered the recommended conservation method of mounting clothing. Sewing can be very time consuming, and most will say that they can't charge enough to make up for the amount of labor involved.

The tools and nylon fasteners of Attach-EZ help the framer to quickly and securely attach fabric artwork. If the Attach-EZ method is used, it should only take 8-10 fasteners to hold even the largest shirts in place and the ball point needles prevent damage to the material.

When it comes to framing, there are many right ways to achieve the same goal. The professionalism comes in when choosing which way is right for the artwork being framed.

EZ-Tach is an Attach-EZ product that is used in place of wire, fishing line, etc. It is used to attach three dimensional artwork such as rings, glasses, watches, and anything that would normally require sewing or wire to hold in place. This product does not have a special tool and comes in a kit with various lengths from 3 - 9 inches long. Once again this product is designed to do no damage and is totally reversible.

Hope this clears things up.

The Fine Fabric Attach-EZ...

purplegun_150w.jpg

The EZ-Tach™ Object Mounting System includes polypropylene & sting fasteners like this...

EZTachFastener2_180w.jpg

(A picture is worth a thousand words) :D

John

It's not often that I admit this, but I was wrong.
It is the Attach EZ I am referring to. I have been calling it the EZ Tack because when I worked at a department store, that's what we called them... except for one girl, she called them polywogs.
Sorry for the confusion.

Donna, the kit has long string like attachment for dolls, teddy bears, they simply wrap aroung the doll, or teddy, and fasten at the back. Very simple quick way to mount, my only problem with the system is that you go through your mat board and foamcore and I usually have broken the needle, and the are 2 for slightly over 11 bucks from united. I did order some from a display supply company, they are longer and did not work as well, but the price was right, about 7 bucks for 4. Good luck and may all your stiches hold tight......Tommy

I don't have an AttachEze yet so maybe I shouldn't add to the discussion, but when has that stopped me.....

Can't you start a hole with a regular needle or a T-pin before shooting through your matboard and foamcore? Seems that would save bending the needles.

Just a thought. Although, honestly, by the time I poked a hole with a T-pin(which is the way I sew mount)it is just as easy to push a needle and thread through the hole to sew the jersey down. I'm one of those who doesn't mind sew mounting. Most of what I mount tends to be a lot more delicate than a jersey, I guess that is why I have not gotten one yet.

Emibub, It really sounds like you are confusing one product for another. If you use the Attach-EZ tools to mount fabric artwork according to the directions, there is no need to pre-punch holes and you won't bend the needles.

EZ-Tach is not a tool and only needs a common awl to use for attaching three dimentional art. Both products are part of Attach-EZ, Inc. but they are used for very different types of artwork.

Attach-EZ is used to attach fabric art such as jersys, doilies, flags, and anything fabric. It can also be used to stretch needlework.

EZ-Tach is for three dementional art you may have used wire, thread, or fishing line to attach in the past. Objects such as dolls, watches, eye glasses, rings, fishing lures, etc. are examples of what you would use this product for.

I knew I should not have waded in.......I know what the Attach-Ez does Pat. I was offering a possible solution to the many people I have read complaining about bending the needles. I wonder if you pre-punch a hole if that would help pass the needle through without bending it.

I always pre-punch unless I'm going thru fom-cor or the like. I've ruined too darn many needles.

:mad:
cry.gif
:mad:

Anyone ever not have the needle locked in tightly and have it shoot across the room??? Not good. Thank God I don't have other employees!

Dave Makielski

[ 06-22-2005, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Dave ]

You really shouldn't have to pre punch holes, but some people prefer to, so if it works for you keep doing it.

There is a way of mounting shirts that I have developed that takes much of the stress off the needles. I will be deomstrating at the Atlanta show in case anyone is interested. Hopefully, by then I should have a hand out sheet describing this method, to give you.

In the meantime one thing you might try is to push the fabric on to the needle first (be careful not to poke yourself) before going through the matboard and substrait. Some of the jersy fabrics can be very sticky and drag on the needles when you are trying to go through several layers at one time. I have found that by doing this it will take alot of the stress off the needle.

In support of my new best friend, Emibub, I'd like to mention that I am a pre-poker.

I like to position the jersey, or whatever, with push-pins, get it situated just the way I want it, and then removed the pins one-at-a-time to be replaced with the Attach-EZ fasteners.

I recently purchased an Attach-Ez and immediately bent a needle. I managed to attach my first project without destroying the second needle but it was bending by the end.

On my project it wasn't the object that was being mounted that caused the problem it was the mat board.

I think I'll try pre-poking in the future too.

Well good then, it wasn't such an abstract concept to pre-punch a hole. I feel completely validated now.......................
thumbsup.gif

Back