Thumbnail large frame or order chop and join?

Mike LeCompte CPF

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
From
Knoxville TN
We're doing several large pieces--about 40 x 60 -- calling for LJ's Isabella--893504 around a 5" width. It's just going on a piece with no matting and UV Plexi soit won't be really heavy, except for the weight of the frame.

Here's the question: order this as a thumbnail or chop and join? Have heard the wedges aren't really that solid of a join so curious what everyone recommends. Do NOT want to do this in house because of size of moulding and length

Elaine

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
From
Skaneateles,NY USA
do you get delivery from LJ?? I would let them join- my rep had a special on joins being the same price as chop. If its not a good join,they eat it :D

sorry LJ - I do appreciate everything you do! This note is f/Gary if he's reading!!

my 2 cents

Elaine

NoNoNoNo

Grumbler
From
Albuquerque, weirdo central
****. The best way to do that one is to cut and join it yourself. The money you would save ordering that in length would be worth the hassle.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Jacksonville Beach, FL USA
Business
Sunshine Frames
If I were going to order that size frame chopped, I would get them to join it as well.

There should be no issue with the fasteners...I use something similar all the time with great results, but I have had issues with chops that have remained unjoined for any length of time...especially large profiles.

Jerry Ervin

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
North Carolina ... The Picture Frame Capital of th
You don't have a V-nailer Mike? I sell quite of bit of that profile and cut and join it myself all the time.

It is expensive scrap to throw away so if you sell very little I would buy it chopped.

If you have a thumb nailer only, I would pay LJ to join it as well. It is a heavy piece of wood.

Ron Eggers

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
From
Wisconsin
I've had Thumbnails break after a time - three corners on one frame, in one case.

That was enough for me. Chop-and-join looks good with free delivery.

Bill Henry-

From
Boondock Bowerbank, ME
Business
Retired from the grind
My vises only take about 4-1/4” width mouldings, so when I have such a meg-frame, I bite the bullet and have them cut and join for me. And, for me, length is not an option for those widths, either. I cannot open my Morso that wide and my saw won’t cut those widths well enough for my satisfaction.

C&J eats into the profits a little, but lousing up my own joins will eliminate any profits altogether.

I don’t trust thumb nails, period!

Baer Charlton

From
On FB
Lets cut to the chase.... C&J is still going to be a better profit margin than CC.

But there isn't more than a few of you that wouldn't salivate at the chance to sell CCs.

Why would this be any different?

Congrats on a great order Mike, that causes you this delema

Dave

From
Edwardsburg, MI
I wouldn't mess around with it and would order it joined. This is a 5" moulding and wouldn't fit in my vise...plus being 40X60 makes this frame quite heavy. Unless you're well set up to handle this wide of moulding and a frame this large, you are better off avoiding the interuption of other work.

Talk to your rep...multiple frames...possibly a free join might be offered.

Dave Makielski