• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Three-in-One

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I'm trying to scope out a project plan. Customer has three newspaper front pages that he wants all together in one frame. I explained the issue with newsprint and longevity, but they want to use the originals. Two of the mat openings would be about 11-1/4 x 22 and one about 14-1/4 x 22. There would be about 1-3/4" of mat between the openings and about 2-1/4" around the group. Would using Melinex overlay mounts for each page work as a mounting method? I've done a similar two page project, which did work, but I'm concerned about the stability of the mount and matting over a total width of about 45", particularly the vertical mat elements between the pages. I'm thinking they may need to be wider to allow an area for sticking them in place between the overlay mounts to prevent them warping. This would get Cons.Clear glass, so I don't want to go over 48" total width.
Thoughts?

Thanks.
:coffeedrinker2: Rick

Creative Chicks

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Hi Rick, Are these new newspaper pages? I usually spray them with Bookkeepers deacidification spray and dry mount them to black foamcore or Kooltach as is available now a days, so as not to be able to see the writing from the other side to show through. When I opened my store 20 years ago I did this with a article done about me and it looks great all these years later.

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Your plan should work without problems if you use plenty of good double-sided tape strips between the mat windows on front and back surfaces. That is, apply the tape to the back of the window mat within 1/8" - 1/4" of each opening, as well as to the substrate. My recommendation would be to use ASAP Tapes #ASA600 fillet tape, 1/4" wide. Burnish thoroughly to activate the bonds.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I have been doing this since 2001 using Mylar Sleeves and sink mats. Shown below is one with 3 issues of Sports Illustrated, the complete issues, not just the cover. The Mylar Sleeve provides complete conservation protection as well as physical support for the item. The Mylar Sleeves sit in a sink mat. The back can be opened up and the issues removed at any time for reading and/or changing.

Also I would vote for acrylic rather than glass for this size.

Rick Granick

Thanks, Jim. I usually use dots of Cornerweld along with tape to keep things in place. I may have to space these out a little more to have any substrate between the mylar, because the paper borders extend beyond the mat openings and of course the mylar extends beyond that.

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Thanks, Jim. I usually use dots of Cornerweld along with tape to keep things in place. I may have to space these out a little more to have any substrate between the mylar, because the paper borders extend beyond the mat openings and of course the mylar extends beyond that.
The dots of PVA work well on paperboards, but not so well on the polyester film. Good double-sided tape bonds better to the film.

Rick Granick

Yes. I meant the dots of glue to hold board-to-board, so was thinking I may need to space the items more widely to have board surface available between the surface-mounted items, in order to stabilize the vertical mat elements. Does that make sense?

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Yes. I meant the dots of glue to hold board-to-board, so was thinking I may need to space the items more widely to have board surface available between the surface-mounted items, in order to stabilize the vertical mat elements. Does that make sense?
Yes, that makes sense, but you should be able to accomplish good bonding with your planned 1-3/4" window spacing.

As I envision the assembly, if each of the clear film overlays were to extend under the mat windows by about 1/2", that would allow your strips of 1/4" wide, double-sided fillet tape to be placed within 1/4" of the window's edges, even without careful plotting. That would also leave at least 1/4"-1/2" of board-to-board contact area for those PVA dots. Does that makes sense?

Rick Granick

Yes it does. However, the physical newspaper extends beyond the window opening, and of course the tape would be beyond that. I'm going to lay it out again and see what the spacing would have to be to leave some substrate exposed.

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Yes it does. However, the physical newspaper extends beyond the window opening, and of course the tape would be beyond that. I'm going to lay it out again and see what the spacing would have to be to leave some substrate exposed.
Ah, OK. Yes, increasing the window spacing might be wise, but you also could overlap the sheets of clear film, if that would not make too much thickness under the mat, and just use fillet tape for the whole assembly.

One time when I got into a situation like this, the final solution was to cut slots in the backing board to slip the ends of the clear film through, so the bulk was under the backing board, rather than overlapping it under the mat.

Last edited:
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202
Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC