• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

thinking inside the box

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Matthew Hale

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
every once on a while, we are presented with an opportunity to take on a new challenge that doesn't fit neatly inside our normal scope of operations. this was one such opportunity. i didn't deal directly with the client, so I don't know much about the piece inside, but i enjoyed creating the display case. it's not every day that i get to use the words "vitrine" and "plinth" in the same sentence. :)
I created the framework using readily available oak corner moulding from the home center, and clear silicone to adhere the glass panes. the joints were all cut on the miter saw. I used 3/4" mdf painted black for the plinth inside.
IMG_20200824_085418116.jpg IMG_20200824_085435413.jpg

Matthew Hale

...and now he wants me to put lights in it. I know some of you out there i Grumblestan have included LEDs in your projects before. any tips? My 1st thought is to run a strip of LED "tape" around the inside of the top edge but I've never used the stuff before.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I have never used that before either but have seen those LED strings/tape on several projects and it looks good. You might have to post a new thread for this, as I am not sure if many people would see your question here

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
Hey Mike, I just glanced down at the "similar threads" feature and it seems that the algorithm is under the opinion that this thread is about "thinking." LOL

Maybe a tweak is in order?

GreyDrakkon

Forum Donor
Business
The Frame Shop
I've used the LED strip for a customer who wanted to backlight a glass panel taken from his door. The thing to keep in mind is that you can't cut those strips just anywhere, they have a "seam" that you have to cut on, else the lights in that section won't work. They do come in different lengths though so you would just have to do some measuring. There's also how you want to turn it on and off if you don't want it just to be a plug in for power, and having a...You know what, here's a video that will do a far better job explaining it than what I'm doing. Also, those things are SUPER bright, or at least the ones I got were, so you may want to see if there's different output levels.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Matthew Hale

That looks great! What did you end up using for the lights?
I got some self-adhesive standard density led strips from LEDSupply. They can be cut every 4 inches and are super simple to install. They had all the supplies and info I needed to get it done. At first I tried using some snap-on connectors for the corners, but they proved to be a little too bulky, so I got some wire and soldered the connections instead and it turned out swimmingly.

Dirk

Forum Donor
What a great title to the thread.

Last edited: