Things you can't chuck out

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
United Kingdom, West Sussex Coast. (Bottom centre)
Business
Retired
Wife recently bought a new handbag, included was a matching purse, an organiser, a spectacle case and a key holder, it was the purse that sold it!

Shoppping the other day, she pulled her new purse from the new handbag, removed some notes, put the new purse back and pulled out the old purse for some change!

(We prefer to spend cash when out shoppping, when the bank charges us 1% to pay it in!)

(Dunno if banks there do that too, but a way around it here, is to pay cash into a personal account, (free banking) then pay a cheque from that account into the business one - should I be admitting this?)

"Wharraya need TWO purses for" I said "Well" she says, "I can't throw the old one out - you gave it to me" (Aaaaaaaaw!)

Gave me an idea - I could frame it, along with others bits that we can't chuck out for various reasons, little title aperture under each item to explain why... Hang it in the shop, give people ideas. Money from junk!

Done the same with some old military lapel badges of mine, framed on cushions of suedette, edged with mount fillets mitred the wrong way, little explanatory note in title aperture underneath.

Brings in a lot of medals, etc, for similar treatment.

Is that what you'd call a stacked purse then (a purse in a purse)??

For some reason, shoes and coats

Don't know why, it just seems like they never make it out of my sight. Usually relagated to the garage for outdoor/work/play with the dogs coats & shoes. Its got to be some sort of phobic behavior
nuts.gif

Be honest folks!
</font>
  • assorted drop outs,</font>
  • short ends of moulding,</font>
  • 2" strips of glass.</font>
  • v-nails "ribbons" with 4 nails left on them</font>
  • cans of vac u mount spray with "a little" still in them</font>
  • LM samples
    </font>

Originally posted by Bob Doyle:
Be honest folks!
</font>
  • assorted drop outs,</font>
  • short ends of moulding,</font>
  • 2" strips of glass.</font>
  • v-nails "ribbons" with 4 nails left on them</font>
  • cans of vac u mount spray with "a little" still in them</font>
  • LM samples
    </font>
Ah, no fair, you've been looking! :D And boxes and boxes of wire brads, all sizes.

LOL! LM samples!!! :D :D

MY ex-husband...cuz the kids won't let me. Well you guys said to honest!!!

But back to topic, I've improved greatly with hording useless items on the homefront. I moved this summer out of my first house which I lived in for 15 years. I was horrified by what I had. ZEspecially since 3-4 years prior to that I brought in a dumpster and cleaned out the damp basement.
Boy was moving a reality check. The boys and I moved into a already fully stocked house of my boyfriends. Yard sale, donations, freebies by the road, a dumpster and endless loads of garbage. Who knew

At the shop definitely short ends of moulding(which I make fabulous use of) and any scrap of rag/fabric mats
I'm always glad I have them....most of the time.

I do have a tendency to keep things - many for overly sentimental reasons. I have a glass knick knack thing that I have never liked, but my first boyfriend's mom gave it to me. He turned out to be a jerk, but she was a lovely woman and was very nice to me.

One of these days I'll do a thorough sorting and reclaim some much needed shelf space. Anyone need stacks of back issues of Gourmet or Cooking Light? I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that I'm never actually going to make seared scallops with bacon and shallots, or any of the other 4000 recipes currently waiting anxiously on mt livingroom shelves.

How 'bout craft supplies? Who needs some? If I were suddenly able to stay home and do nothing but crafts projects AND I lived to be a hundred and eleven I would still never be able to complete all the projects for which I have bought supplies.

I still can't bring myself to let go of my rather eclectic collection of records, even though I only fire the turntable up about 4 times a year. Maybe when they release this gem on CD. . .

I've been planning a shadowbox of some of the costume jewelry I have from my grandmother and great-aunt. I'd wear it - but I just don't have the style that either of them did.

Meghan, I've got albums in the basement and the closet and the back room! The belt on the turntable died 2 years ago and my wife just noticed!

I have sewing scraps, and I mean scraps, like 2 by2 squares and other 'valuable' bits! Broken sewing machine needles (OK I threw those out after reading this thread)

5 circular saws with burnt out motors, (the cords are still good.) 3 VSR drills with frayed cords (Motors are still good, except for the smoke that comes out of one, can't remember which one.....) A LION MITER with the nastiest set of blades, (and rust to beat the band.)

And the 5 1/4" disks for Word Perfect 2.0.

I threw out the disks for Windows 2.0, and now they are collector's items! As are the AOL floppies from the mid 90's. (But come on folks who really wants to meet those collectors!)

I build a lot of stuff from plexi and have piles of strips from the drop cuts. I've built boxes using the strips to store hardware and stuff in, but I never seem to make a dent in the pile.

Bob, You may be framing those AOL floppies someday. When I left AOL in '97, it was for good. I still might have the disk around somewhere.
John

Originally posted by Bob Doyle:
[QB
5 circular saws with burnt out motors, (the cords are still good.) 3 VSR drills with frayed cords (Motors are still good, except for the smoke that comes out of one, can't remember which one.....) A LION MITER with the nastiest set of blades, (and rust to beat the band.)
[/QB]
Bob I say this lovingly....LET THEM GO!!!
Check inyour area for a place that buys and resells tool. You can do this...I believe in you.

OK I confess I'm a tool junky. And Meghan I had such a huge problem with cooking magazines that one 'snow day' about five years ago I went through all of them and only cut out and saved theone I really, I mean really was going to try.

Now you can go online and get any of the recipes you want. With Cooking Light I only allow myself to get the annual cook book instead of the subscription.

Of course now I live with someone who has a bigger problem with this than me. so whats the point
faintthud.gif

"Pack rat" is my middle name..I am hoplessly given over to it. SO rather than put myself down over it I am wondeirng if we cant turn them things into soemthing else usefull..Whenever we do survival training type camping ( second nature to most of us now)we only pack something that has several uses. An example of that is a can..A simple can of beans is heavy. I dont want to carry it in 20 miles and then have to pack it out. But I will do it cuz I can use the empty can for drinking, can use the lid for a signaling mirror. the paper around the can for a fire starter. can use the can itself as a toilet paper holder and use the carboard tube to hold my stuff. together..etc..you get the idea. So I borrowed this idea and am applying it to my " PAck-rat " mentality and ask myself if I can use this or not for something? The timn can works for holding nails and screws etc in the basement of my shop.
I have ton's of stuff to figure out uses for..ha!

Back