the Mitre Mite Disc Sander

Julie-Tulie

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I am considering biting the bullet and getting a mitre sander for my shop and I am wanting opinions on which is the best...the Mitre Mite or are there others that are just as good without the big price tag. And is manual the way to go for the control issue or is electric. Thanks ahead of time for your input...

Julie,

Click on the <u>Search</u> link on the top of the page. Type in “Disk Sander” and you’ll get more information than you will probably need.

Check out the United Catalog. I have the Mitre Mite and love it, but United just came out with one that looks VERY similar for much less $$$.

Cliff...I tried to find it online at the United site but had no luck...do you have a catalog # for it by chance?

Cliff,

I saw the one you mentioned, but I wasn't sure if it was the same one a bought for over $500 earlier this year.

The one I bought was Item #2260. The one for $269 is Item #5944. I'm going to see what the difference is between the two. That way I'll know if I should feel like a sucker. :)

Don

yes, I had to pull they 95th anniversary sale flyer to get the number, but Don beat me to posting it.

The pictures look identical.

The $500+ one is the ITW/AMP name brand model.
The $269 one is "Superior Brand" which seems to be a United "house brand." Apparently a "knock off." Now, is it "equal in quality" or not I can't say. I have never seen the "Superior" one. But, it's worth checking into.

Geez...the AMP from one of our suppliers is $599. I had no idea they cost that much.

yep, over $500. I bought mine 3 yrs ago for under $300.

I am sure United (Peter) can't say, but it's possible that United got ITW/AMP to "rebrand" the same machine for less.

CVS film is made by Agfa, but costs MUCH less than the Agfa version of the exact same thing for instance.

If you buy enough of anything, you can get it for less. (where have I heard that before?)

I bought a manual like-new used Italian "Alfamacchine" for myself for Christmas last year thru a distributor for $ 400.00.

It's a Godsend. Wonderful for mldgs. that are medium to small and great to size fillets if you are careful.

Wish I had an electric model for the 3" and up mldgs., but a manual is much more useful for the majority of work. The electric is hard to control with smaller profiles.

Dave Makielski

Originally posted by Dave:
I bought a manual like-new used Italian "Alfamacchine" for myself for Christmas last year thru a distributor for $ 400.00.
Dave, ITW name-brands the Alphamacchine sander in the USA and yes, it is a fine machine.

That manual hand-cranked design is my preference because it is controllable. I have an ITW sander as well as an electric Delta with miter guide.

I used the new sander from United at the Atlanta show and to be honest, I couldn't tell any difference between it and the ITW sander in terms of rotational smoothness or flatness of the disk. It is a good machine, and a great value. If I were in the market for one now, That's the one I'd buy.

Back