• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Woodworks by John

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
With the current "pandemic crappola" the handful of artists I do work for has dwindled. No shows or galleries right now for their work so they're being understandably cautious. The up side to that though is that it gives me more time to experiment with frames and other aspects of my woodworking like furniture, carving, and box building. Diane recently completed a painting from a photograph she took in New York City. It was a departure from her usual figurative work and what stood out to me was the architectural and the linear elements. After a bit of experimentation I came up with this frame which is made of multiple layers of 1/4" or so Basswood that has each edge chamfered. The work is detailed in this blog: http://woodworksbyjohn.com/2020/05/05/the-color-of-asphalt-frame-197/ so check it out if you're so inclined! You'll see that my first example was using paint directly over the raw basswood which allowed some grain to show. The solution was about 6 coats of traditional hard gesso. The finish (believe it or not) is from Ace Hardwares premium line of spray paints and flat black! When working on the sample I told Diane that "it looks just like asphalt" so that became the title of the piece! Now it's just a waiting game for shows to open, luckily; her gallery Meyer Vogl in Charleston has been doing a great on-line presentation and events for their clients so her work is getting out there.

The Color of Asphalt - 1.jpg The Color of Asphalt - detail - 1.jpg

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only