Texting without a smartphone?

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
It has begun to annoy me when I am trying valiantly to contact customers to tell them their work is ready to pick up, they no longer seem to either read email or listen to voice mail. Once in a while I will leave a detailed voice message for someone only to receive a call from them two seconds later asking, "Did you call?" So, since they obviously did not listen to my message, I have to repeat the whole thing.

And these are the self-same people who complain that they do not have enough hours in the day - grumbling about always having to return phone calls, etc.

So, what I am thinking, for a person without a smartphone, or for one who refuses to text, is there any program that will allow a person to send an email that arrives as a text? I mean, they are both just a bunch of words - not different at all.

If I have the phone number of a customer, can I send them a text from my email???

:help:

Wow - that sounds cool - but I wonder if people will then think I am crazy if I ask them who their carrier is. :nuts:

No need. Use a site like this to determine it : https://www.carrierlookup.com/index.php

If you don't like their captcha, you can do the google to something like 'determine carrier for phone number' to find other sites.

If you use GoogleVoice, you can text or call any phone number from within the webapp without having to lookup anything.

This is when Mar will be using Google Voice

0ebfced75607678b0ecf01a7903aea1a_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

OMG - it works! I looked up two different numbers and got both of their carriers (after closing the page and re-opening it for the second number).

Now, let's see if I can send Mister Techno a text.

What will happen if someone texts you back...where will you get the response message...

My mobile / cell phone company allows me to send text messages from my computer...

The charge package allows me 600 free text messages from my computer every month...

OMG!

It worked!!! I sent this guy my very first text and two minutes later he phoned to say he forgot about his picture and he is coming in tomorrow or Tuesday.

I am so chuffed!

Thanks everyone!!!

Chuff, chuff, chuff..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(I wouldn't even mind if Ashley were to call again right now - that's such the good mood I am in!)

Framar said:
Wow - that sounds cool - but I wonder if people will then think I am crazy if I ask them who their carrier is. :nuts:

Mar,

No question - the will think you're crazy! We find the same customer who come in and complain that they were not notified about a Sale or Artists event are the same ones who were reluctant to give us any personal contact information. :shrug:

John

What will happen if someone texts you back...where will you get the response message...

Someone mentioned this to me this afternoon - he said you cannot text a response, you have to close and re-open the procedure.

But I do not plan on having conversations with folks - I just want to tell them their work is done!

Someone mentioned this to me this afternoon - he said you cannot text a response, you have to close and re-open the procedure.

But I do not plan on having conversations with folks - I just want to tell them their work is done!

Actually you will get a response back at the email address that you sent the original text from.

I tested it it with my gmail address. I sent a text to my phone and replied from my phone and got an email in my gmail account with the text.

We use http://www.message-media.com/ to text customers and it works wonderfully, replies are notified by both email and a popup. Templates allow us to have numerous preset messages and you can send to multiple recipients at once. There is a cost but it is far lower than the time taken on phone calls and emails.

Is that Ashley???????

This is very funny. Love your wit. :thumbsup:

As someone with no cel phone, I've wondered the same thing.
Will have to get my courage together and give it a try.

BTW, you don't need a "smart"phone to text. Just a plain vanilla (my apologies to those that think vanilla is a flavor) flip phone will do.

BTW, you don't need a "smart"phone to text. Just a plain vanilla (my apologies to those that think vanilla is a flavor) flip phone will do.

I think Mar declared war on all cell phones! ;)

I use my cell phone mainly for texts, but then, with kids and rides needed, that is the easiest and fastest way to make sure they get the message and I always have it with me.

I have a plain vanilla flip phone - (it's a red Jitterbug) - but it doesn't even have a keyboard (except the numbers to dial). I have owned it for about 3 years now and made about a dozen calls, LOL. I do not have it set up to send or receive texts, although I do faintly recall that being an option...

I have a plain vanilla flip phone - (it's a red Jitterbug) - but it doesn't even have a keyboard (except the numbers to dial). I have owned it for about 3 years now and made about a dozen calls, LOL. I do not have it set up to send or receive texts, although I do faintly recall that being an option...
Mar,

Try Free Carrier for your searches.

It’s free and unlimited. It automatically gives you the SMS Gateway Address and the MMS Gateway Address e.g. “6035551234@messaging.sprintpcs.com” that you have to do is simply copy and paste it into an address book.

Like yourself, I don’t have a dedicated QWERTY keyboard on my $12 Drug-Dealer-Burn-Phone so my texting is slow and cumbersome (and more than prone to frequent mistakes). When someone texts me, I simply grab my iPad and use the keyboard on it to answer them. It generally shocks people how quickly and accurately I can respond to their texts.

Our cell phones are Republic Wireless, which doesn't have an SMS gateway, but there's a workaround. Since Republic Wireless uses Sprint as a backup service (when WiFi's unavailable), there's a separate Sprint phone # assigned to the phone. So if you use email to send a message to that (normally hidden) Sprint number (nnnnnnnnnn@messaging.sprintpcs.com), it will work, but only to the phone. If you try to reply to the message from the phone, you get an error.

Anyway, Republic uses Motorola phones. We have 1 Defy XT and 2 MotoX's. You can use a Chrome extension called Motorola Connect to send text bidirectionally between the browser and the phone. Works fine.

So, the point is that what works depends on your situation; not all providers make it easy.

Our i-FRAMER software allows you to SMS text to your customer from their sales page and even records that SMS in the history of the customer record.

Our Australian framers have been using this for past 2 years and New Zealand framers just recently as we have just expanded to New Zealand. Just one of our many awesome features.

Sorry, i-FRAMER not available to you in the US.

Since I asked this question six years ago, I now tell all customers (especially the youngsters) that I do not text (because I still only have my little flip Jitterbug phone) and that I will be leaving them a VOICE MESSAGE (since their phones always seem to allow that option) when their work is ready. This works for MOST people.

If I cannot get through to them to leave a message or they never respond - I just let the item sit in my shop until they phone or come in to see if it is done and then I tell them I left them a message two months ago that it was finished and they look at their phones and find my message and act very sheepish.

If I had their addresses, I could write them a letter (in cursive) but chances are they would not be able to read that. :faintthud:

I don't listen to voice mail. I ring back as soon as i see missed call. Its quicker and to the point then listening first. If the number is no caller id. Then too bad. We SMS and email customers at the same time. So they will receive 2 messages instantly. If they say "hey never received them". i just click a button that sends them another message while they are standing in front of me. And go. 'oh, it seems to be working ok though"

How can phoning someone and having to TALK to them be quicker than listening to a message that says, "Your order is ready"????

Hardly any addresses anymore - why bother? Not really going to be mailing them Valentines.

Maybe I ought to simply thrust a business card into their hands and tell them to call me in a couple of weeks and I'll let them know when to come in for pick up. (Actually - I think this is a great idea!) ;)

I rarely play back voicemails any more, either. I just erase em :) Most systems, including the ones we have at home/shop/cellular, automatically convert the voicemails from voice to text - and then text the wording to me. So effectively, what you are doing will work like a text for most folks.
Mike

I rarely play back voicemails any more, either. I just erase em :) Most systems, including the ones we have at home/shop/cellular, automatically convert the voicemails from voice to text - and then text the wording to me. So effectively, what you are doing will work like a text for most folks.
Mike

Same Same.

I'm not even sure how to check my voicemail. I use Google Voice which transcribes the voice mail and sends me a text and an email with the transcription.

you have to dial to receive messages (same time it takes to call back). Then if you are like me and don't check your voicemail It says you have 300 unplayed messages. So i just hang up.
Hence the reason why we text and email at the same time. It takes me 10 seconds to send an email and text straight from our software compared if i was to ring up and leave a voice message. which could take 30 seconds. Factor that out by 30 messages a week 30 x 20 sec (difference). = 10 minutes a week. By 52. 520 minutes or 6-7 hours a year. multiple that by your labour rate. lets call it $80. I am saving at least $500 a year not calling and leaving messages, that maybe someone will not bother to listen to. Plus if you then want to add the extra time that when they don't listen to it and ring you back, you have to answer that call, speak to them. There goes more time in my day. So many people especially younger ones don't want to talk on the phone. they prefer texts.

Hardly any addresses anymore - why bother? Not really going to be mailing them Valentines.

Maybe I ought to simply thrust a business card into their hands and tell them to call me in a couple of weeks and I'll let them know when to come in for pick up. (Actually - I think this is a great idea!) ;)

That's exactly what I do. I give almost every customer my business card. I have some special ones set up with space to write the approx. due date and the price (before tax).
Just one more chance that they will not "forget" that they brought something to a custom frame shop.
Honestly, how can anyone forget that?
Plus it's a little bit of extra advertising if they show it to anyone else.

I also don't bother with taking the address of clients. The phone number always, email optional. I ask the client what their preference for being contacted is.

I get the whole thing with "young people" and their reliance/preference for text communication.
I text and SMS with family and friends every day too.
Yes, it is faster. And there are definitely many advantages as stated by others here.

But only for brief exchanges, like pick up notification.
Having an actual "face to face" conversation (or "voice to voice" on the phone) conveys so much more meaning and intent that can not be by text, even with all the emoji's out there ;) :shrug: :icon11::thumbsup:

I've had to call customers to explain things that would be cumbersome to convey clearly by text.
How many of you have opened a frame package that you are going to change the mat on, only to find out the whole thing is held together with cardboard and masking tape, so you have to explain/offer proper framing technique to correct the poorly done old job. Or the artwork is permanently adhered to the mat, so it can't be exchanged easily. Etc, etc...
Unforeseen factors that you didn't have time to investigate while they were there with you. So now you have to explain all these problems, and make suggestions. A phone call can deal with that in a few minutes. It would take ages to converse about things like that back and forth by text.

Plus, the vast majority of my clients are not "young" (under 30?) I guess it depends on your region's demographics. My town has several seniors/retirement communities. A great deal of them don't own a cell phone, and many don't even have email.

I don't remember the last time rand a customer. I send a text and email from their sale page to call me at their convenience. If it something like an item on back order, i will mention it and say i will keep it on back order unless they eat to come and choose something else and give an approximate time based on what the supplier has told me. 20 seconds done.

As for unforeseen circumstances we have un assemble charge of at least 15 minutes. So while some may only take a minute and other s might take 20, we are pretty much covered. i.e i had a job came in the was siliconed into the frame. took 15 minutes by the time i got it out and removed all the old silicone. But on the same day had another job with broken glass, that took 2 minutes to take apart. Nicole will some times just add an extra fee if it had been framed somewhere else previously. i.e there is a high end shop in town, so if one of those frames come in she knows she has extra movement to charge more based on what they would have been charged initially. So if she ads an extra $50 on to job it will still be much cheaper then if they had gone back to them.

I started asking customers for their cell phone number instead of their home phone number. Why? More than once they were in a hurry for their order and asked me to call them when the order was complete. I called... recording comes on say the number does not exist. When the customer calls me a few days later, I would ask them why their phone number in my file is invalid. They said since they have a cell phone they no longer needed their home phone. So, now I ask for their cell number AND ask them if they STILL have a home phone.... ( ͡◓ ͜ʖ ͡◓)

Every new customer, or customers who haven't been in in a while, fills out a simple paper form.
Name
Address
Phone
Mobile phone
Email address
How did you hear about us

If they are hesitant about email, I assure them that I will only use it to contact them about their order. Never have a problem getting the information

I started asking customers for their cell phone number instead of their home phone number. Why? More than once they were in a hurry for their order and asked me to call them when the order was complete. I called... recording comes on say the number does not exist. When the customer calls me a few days later, I would ask them why their phone number in my file is invalid. They said since they have a cell phone they no longer needed their home phone. So, now I ask for their cell number AND ask them if they STILL have a home phone.... ( ͡◓ ͜ʖ ͡◓)

I would just ask them for their phone number. Cell, landline, string and tin cans...................doesn't matter, It's their contact number. If they want to give you more that's OK too.

In WV, the customer retains ownership of what they bring in, no matter what. We have to go to court and prove that we have made multiple good faith efforts to return the property to its rightful owner before we can dispose of it. If I don't have their address, I can't demonstrate returned letters, etc., so I always collect a mailing address and ask for a physical address when they give me a PO Box.

This has been helpful in other ways. More than once I have mailed out an invoice for the remaining balance and received a check back within days. Many times this check is written by a spouse.

And in a few cases, I have knocked on the customer's door after work with the frame in hand. Every time, an appreciative customer immediately wrote me a check.

As for phone numbers, I look them in the eye and say, "what phone number might you actually answer if there is a problem." It doesn't always work, but it usually produces a different phone number. Same for email addresses.

Back