• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Tabs Gone Wild

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
Just glanced over at my Lenovo laptop and it was apparently trying desperately to open an entire row of tabs. I have no idea what prompted this unusual behavior, but it took me about 15 minutes and I bet I had to individually close over 300 tabs (some dating back several months or more, but mostly the same 5 ones over and over and over).

Any idea what could have caused this? For once I cannot blame the cats - none of them were near the laptop. Is there a button I could have accidentally pushed on the keyboard that says "open 3 months worth of recently closed tabs "? I never use any shortcut keys. No clue what they do . . .

And oddly enough, I do actually take advantage of the Clear Recent History feature at least every week.

It's always something . . .

:faintthud:

Dirk

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Have you tried installing some tab stops from an old manual typewriter?

wvframer

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Rest In Peace
As much as I love the idea of a haunted laptop, I actually have experienced this one. It turned out it was the result of a stuck key.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Sometimes clicking on a bad link (email or web) can do this. Was it trying to open something specific? Def run a scan with your a/v software, just to make sure all is well and the laptop is free of malware.

Mike

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

wvframer

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Rest In Peace
Yuck. Didn't even think of that possibility.

Framar

WOW Framer
Just ran a complete scan - no viruses or malware - everything A-OK.

It was just trying to open all of the tabs I had ever kept open for the last couple of months - the same 5 or 6 six websites (eBay, my blog, a YT kitten cam, A Snopes page, and the Grumble).

Hmmm, seeing this same thing happened to Gilder, maybe Firefox had a hiccup or something?

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
The next time this happens, the quickest way to close all the tabs is to hold down <CTRL> F4 (The control key and F4 at the same time). All the tabs will close lickity split.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Next up: Tabs gone wild, spring break edition!

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Framar

WOW Framer
Of course, Larry, now that you have given me the solution to the problem it is an iron-clad guarantee that this particular problem will never ever happen again. ;)

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Of course, Larry, now that you have given me the solution to the problem it is an iron-clad guarantee that this particular problem will never ever happen again. ;)

Of course. But if it should arise again, using <CTRL> F4 will close hundreds of tabs in just a few seconds. :thumbsup:

Framar

WOW Framer
Thanks. I'll tape another post-it to my laptop. (Wouldn't that make a great title for a country western song?)

Ad Banner for SmallCorp
W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades