Table size for Fletcher 2200 48"

ltlredwagon

Grumbler in Training
I'm going to be framing quite a lot of art/photos/documents for family. I will be cutting mats and buying other materials, frames, glass, etc. in the sizes needed. I'm purchasing a Fletcher 2200 48". Most of the mats will be in the 16X20 size or less, but maybe as long as 36". Nothing longer. I will be working in a fairly small space. I have done a little mat cutting in the past with a C&H Advantage, but I'm very inexperienced. I'll be learning on the 2200. I'm looking for advice on an optimum/practical size for a table for the 2200 (which is almost 60" long). A local store has some used drafting tables which are 37.5 X 60 inches by 37" high. I don't have enough room to put the cutter in the middle of the room, but if I put my table against one wall I could easily access the cutter from 3 sides. I guess I'm wondering if 37.5 X 60 is appropriate, just adequate but workable, or if I really should look for something a bit larger. Appreciate any advice.

When framing, the larger the workspace, the better.
For cutting 16x20 mats, the 37.5 x 60 inch table would be fine.
When framing, you will need room for the frame, as well as the glass, mat, and backer.
Those elements get stacked as you put together the frame.
I'd recommend a work space at least 3 times the size of the frame you are working on.
If you are keeping the mat cutter on the table at all times, I would recommend a larger table.
When we first opened, our work table was 48" x 96" wide. Our 48" mat cutter went off the end of the table a bit.
It worked okay for a bit, but we now have a 96"x 96" table.

Brian

If you use a drafting table, make sure it is a substantial piece of furniture, not a modern flimsy throwaway that will fall apart in a year or two. If you can, why not build your own table?

Or you could buy a folding-leg table like THIS one.
:cool: Rick

Those things are pretty sturdy. I have a couple. One is card table size for when I eat in front of the TV. It weighs about 3-4 times the flimsy card table it replaced.

The only issue is the height. Unless you like low tables, it's too low for a mat cutter. I had the same problem with the table in my laundry room. It was too low and i needed it to be mobile so I could move it away from the wall whilst folding sheets. You can see my solution below. It should work for your mat cutter plus it will be mobile.

Its hard to see but the table is actually bolted to the mobile frame.

laundrytable.jpg

Thanks very much to all. Rick, I did see an online ad from from someone selling a 2200, and they used two of those tables (photo). So looks like the 72 X 43 drafting table might be best, or similar size I build myself to be very stable, as Larry suggested. So, is there general agreement that a 72 X 43 table, 37 inches high, would be workable? Thanks, Bob

Attachments

• Fletcher.jpg
    Fletcher.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 22
ltlredwagon said:
I'm going to be framing quite a lot of art/photos/documents for family.

If "quite a lot" really means a substantial amount, then don't fool around with folding tables or drafting tables. Build a dedicated table that you can use to cut mats that is at a good working height and has the surface area and stability to make your job easier.

As the machine (F-2200 48 inch model) measures 20.67 inches wide by 58.68 inches in length, I would recommend a table with a table top service that is at least 60 inches by 60 inches in length... longer if you can afford the space. This area to the right of the cutter can be used to support the mat as you are cutting but can also be used as a fitting area if necessary (double duty in a smaller shop or home based).

If you really want to do yourself a favor, then have the top surface recessed the first 25 inches to allow the cutter to drop down into this recess giving you support to the right of the cutter. (You will need to allow for the hinges on top and bottom, but this aides in moving the mat blanks more easily onto the cutter surface without "lifting".

You will also want the cutter surface to be about 32-34 inches from the floor. This is an optimum range that allows you to stand on the end of the machine and still reach the majority of the cut, but keeps your back from fatiguing. This will be a problem if the table is too low!

ltlredwagon said:
A local store has some used drafting tables which are 37.5 X 60 inches by 37" high. I don't have enough room to put the cutter in the middle of the room, but if I put my table against one wall I could easily access the cutter from 3 sides.

You would really only need to access the cutter from two sides: Lower end and Left Side

ltlredwagon said:
I guess I'm wondering if 37.5 X 60 is appropriate, just adequate but workable, or if I really should look for something a bit larger. Appreciate any advice.

Adequate.... Look for something more substantial.

Regards,

John

Basic Mat Cutting Instructor - WCAF Expo - 22+ years

Thanks John, this really clarifies things. Uline makes a heavy 36 X 72 industrial packing table which fits well on one side of my narrow room. I have a master carpenter friend who could add on a very solid 24 X 72 drop down leaf and I'd have a 60 X 72 table whenever I need it. And for quite a bit less than any drafting tables I've seen. The table height is adjustable to 35". And putting the cutter into a recessed area sounds perfect. Thanks to all for the recommendations. Bob

Back