Sympathy for me- H2o store flood

Frame Lady

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Our water runoff drain broke the night of the 23rd and upon entering work on Christmas Eve day the store was flooded! We had extremely heavy rains in Seattle, carpet was saturated, foam core boxes half ruined, water everywhere and not a repairman to be found on Christmas Eve. So we rented every carpet cleaner we could find and sopped up the mess, still had customers doing business (we did over $1,000) they thought we were cleaning the carpets the day before Christmas!

Christmas day it rained almost all day and I just knew we flooded again but what can one do when you have 14 coming for dinner and you know there is not a repairman in sight. Took two Tylenol PM at 10pm so as not to worry all night and yes, went to work today, and yes we flooded again, this time with silt, used the same equipment from Christmas Eve and started sopping up the mess again. But this time we rented a machine that fixed the pipe and now the water has receded, the muck has been cleaned up, the air blowers are going all night long and maybe tomorrow it will not feel like a sauna in the store. We are an 7583 sq. ft building and I would say 5000 sq ft was wet. Pray that it does not stink in there on Tuesday.

Ok, got all that off my chest, now I feel better!

Lynn

Lynn, I've got a 5 gallon bucket or two of Zeolite granuals and fine powder...

Give me a call if you need me to run it up.

It would be a great "break-in" run for the new Prius..

Baer, I went through probably 100 5 gallon buckets today, but what the heck is Zeolite?

My friend took me for a ride in a Prius about a year ago, remarkable car, I kept asking her to turn the engine on and she kept saying, you can open your eyes now, we are moving down the road at 70 mph - in complete silence.....

Lynn

Lynn, how horrible that must have been!

I can feel for you, I have been flooded twice in the last 1 1/2 years and it can be overwhelming. It's not just the lost material and mess, but the lost time it takes to clean up and the set back in the momentum of the whole shop. That is what makes me get the kick-in-the-gut feeling.

Hope things get better (and drier!) for you.
thumbsup.gif

Lynn,

Sorry about the flood. Been through 5 at FrameTek - last one was over 3 ft. of water.

I strongly recommend de-humidifiers - the biggest and baddest ones you can rent.

Hot air blowers do heat up the air and hot air does hold more moisture but you must condense the water out of the air and dump it.

Greg

Lynn, Zeolite is what Bainbridge puts in Artcare mats to absorb off-gassing.

"Stink" is "off-gassing".... of course, if you have plenty of Artcare....

Gregs right on this one.. you have to get the moister out of the building.

Keep sucking the carpet.. and if it starts to smell, give me a call.

Sorry to hear Lynn. I understand the hassle as we've had 2 here in the last 5 years. If there's anything we can help you with, let me know.

Your story is a good reminder to all of us: keep everything elevated that would be damaged by water. It doesn't take a storm to cause water damage. A broken pipe can let loose a lot of water and if it happens at night....

I've been in many galleries with framed and unframed art on the floor. Here too sometimes although I try to keep it to a minimum.
:rolleyes:

Back