• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Donmar Creations

Swim Cap

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Ever frame a swim cap? Super thin, flimsy rubber, that shows every bump underneath. She's fine if it looks flat on the mat backing. Also, fine with invasive methods.

Doesn't want something like mylar or crepeline over the front. This photo is not the cap, but same style and color.

Attachments

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
Silicone or latex?

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Mat or FC inside to keep the shape and then think of an ingenious way to attach it to a mat.

Sorry, that's as far as my fried brain got.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Ohhh, ohhh... I got it!

Do what I said and then cut another mat slightly smaller than the profile and then staple that piece and the mat inside the cap so it stays together and then glue that backing mat onto whatever your background is.

RParrish

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I have done them with a cmc mat cut the same shape with the cap under the matting.

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 12.49.54 PM.png
Customer piece we did a while ago.
My boss is a triathlon coach and also has competed.
We have a framed picture in the shop of Lance Armstrong on a bike in a race with my boss right behind him.
Only thing is that Lance had just lapped him...o_O
My boss has said that when Lance passed him it sounded like a steam locomotive going by..:oops:

Last edited:

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
As Shayla mentioned that her customer was OK with invasive methods, that's how this was done.
It's actually pretty easy like that.
We made a mat board form for the cap that was a little big so it would stretch the cap slightly.
Then you set the cap without the form on the mat that is the float, reach inside the cap and either use a just couple of small Attach EZ tabs or it could be stitched with a couple of stitches from inside the cap, not thru the front so it won't show.
The Attach EZ tabs can be shot in from the back of the mat and thru the back of the cap as long as you can reach in the cap and prevent the Attach EZ needle and tab from poking thru the front of the cap.
Then you slip the mat board form inside the cap and it's done.
The mat board cap form will stretch the cap a bit and also cover the attachments so the visible front will be smooth.

Another method that can work since invasive is OK, is to just make a form, slip the form in the cap and then just glue it down to the mat as Ralph (framah) suggested.

Last edited:

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
I have done them with a cmc mat cut the same shape with the cap under the matting.
RANDY!!!! 😀

Thanks for posting. Good idea.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Last time I framed a swim cap, I used formed-rod mounts. Here's one way to do it:

1. Trim a piece of 4 mm fluted polypropylene (Coroplast) to fit inside the cap. Maybe you could use foam board, unless the styrene might react with the cap's material. If it is a latex cap, chemical reactions could accelerate its deterioration.

2. Encapsulate two lengths of spring-steel music wire (.032" diameter should do) a few inches into the board between the flutes using a hard-setting glue, such as electrical-grade hotmelt or epoxy. Or, if foam board is used, just poke the rods into the foam center.
So, after the filler-board is inserted into the cap, a rod protrudes out of the cap's opening on each side.

3. Bent the rods down and push them through tiny holes in the background, placed inconspicuously at the open end of the cap - almost out of sight - and secure those two rod mounts in the fluted polypropylene reinforcing board behind the background/mounting board.

So, the cap's filler board is the support member and the cap remains intact.

IFGL

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Simply break into a clothing store and steel a shop manakin, then put the cap on its head and frame the manakin, bish bash bosh, easy peasy!

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Simply break into a clothing store and steel a shop manakin, then put the cap on its head and frame the manakin, bish bash bosh, easy peasy!

Actually not a bad idea if you do it in 2 dimensions. Use your CMC to cut a silhouette of a head and put the cap on the head.

Picture framers only resource

IFGL

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Actually not a bad idea if you do it in 2 dimensions. Use your CMC to cut a silhouette of a head and put the cap on the head.
My first thoughts were of using a head sized polystyrene ball and cutting the back flat, that's as far as I got before the dog started barking and my kids started shouting, what little thoughts were going through my head simply vanished.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
have done them pretty much the way Neil does.

You can use rare earth magnets on the backside of the rag board form, then glue additional magnets to the back to hold it to the backing if the attach EZ or stitches creating holes is a problem. You would probably need to cushion the magnets that come in contact with the cap. My choice would be cotton batting.

I avoid adhesives since they have a tendency to fail over time. These caps are usually single-use or short term use, so the material can vary even in the same lot. Unless you are an expert in these materials, it just seems easier not to allow the adhesive to touch the cap.

I can tell you some stories about the various plastic materials I have seen disintegrate overtime after coming in contact with other materials. Not pretty.

I haven't looked at it, but the new G says there is a former thread on this subject from March 20, 2007. The title is "Framing a Swim Cap."

Donmar Creations