• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

Surgical tools

simplymatted

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
A customer of mine just gave me a box of these stainless steel surgical tools. He is a machinist and actually makes some of these. So, what do you think, would these make a cool shadow box or just creepy? Im thinking an interesting conversation piece. Some of these Hannibal probably owns.

Attachments

• surgical tools.jpg
    surgical tools.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 137

Bob Doyle

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Gonna use an old Operation Gameboard as the backdrop?

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
How about with a nice Steampunk Frame?

Rick Granick

Those are cool but, even if not an Operation game, I think they do need some graphic element (photo, printed background,etc.) to explain what they are. Otherwise they seem pretty generic for the most part.
:cool: Rick

Maybe you could get ahold of a photo of a surgical team at work, or a portrait of a surgeon with a mask on, etc. and cover the mat/backing in that blue fabric used to make surgical gowns.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Bob Doyle

Or an xray.
A PT in my area had a replacement knee joint that he uses to show people what the socket they had implanted looks like ad how the stretches help. I am sure that there are some available in your area, from a med supply house or ask a PT or your Dr. They may have some other props and learning aids kicking around that you could include in the shadow box.

Or go to the grocery meat department and see if they have any big bones kicking around.... (too soon?)

FramerInTraining

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
These will definitely make for a cool shadow box.

Jeff Rodier

Upon seeing the photo of the tools they were not as interesting as I had thought they would be for a shadow box display. I did immediately think they would make a great set of framing tools for executing cool jobs like shadow boxes and other unique projects.

Just goes to show you how a framer's mind works.

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

Matthew Hale

cool and creepy are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Prospero

Just looking at the photo again and it struck me that a lot of them would be very handy
to have about the framing workshop. :cool:

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Philliam Phulgor

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
A customer of mine just gave me a box of these stainless steel surgical tools. He is a machinist and actually makes some of these. So, what do you think, would these make a cool shadow box or just creepy? Im thinking an interesting conversation piece. Some of these Hannibal probably owns.
I'm frequently late to the party.
Right now I've got some very boring fitting to do on 20 black 11 x 14 ready-mades (the customer's, of course), AND I DON'T WANNA! WAAAHHHHHHHH.
So I'm perusing the Historical Grumble "Picture Frame Design" Hall of Fame and came across this one with the surgical tools and my mind wandered off into strange design idea land..................

Looking at the tools, dread and trepanation overcame me. (if you don't know what Trepanning is, now would be a good time to Google the word)

Many neat ideas were offered and I wonder what you did; I might have overlooked another post of your finished creation but those tools could be arranged in a PC manner, I suppose, but dare to venture.

Designs popped into my head, such as using a dentist print behind, maybe getting cool and creepy with Norman Rockwell or other modern Frankenstein surgical treatments...............
or

and can't resist: trepanning;

.....this is not creepy, it's Anatomy"

.......................... back to work, Phulgor, back to work.....................

Grey Owl

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Some good surgical tools to have in your frame shop is surgical knives. They are similar to X-Acto knives, but less expensive. 100 blades are around $10.00 ti 12.00 including freight and a holder. And they are sterile, so if you cut yourself you don't need to worry about an infection.

Dirk

Forum Donor
A new surgical procedure for the political class: The rectocraniectomy.

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System
W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades