Suede mats

Jean McLean

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Is it possible to cut a V-groove in a suede mat on the CMC? Will the CMC mark the suede from the pressure head cutting it? I would try it on scrap but when I'm done using it, there isn't enough scrip left.

Jean

Your Fletcher F-6100 will cut perfect Vee Grooves in suede without leaving any marks. If you need any further answers on this issue call Fletcher at 1-800-843-3826.

I don't know if your CMC has a head pressure regulator, but if it does, try turning it down just a bit to help alieviate the pressure of the head "combing" the suede...Good luck!

------------------
Mike Anglesey
www.eclipse-cmc.com
mikea@kaibab.com

I use a wizard and the only way to do it is the old fashioned way-cut the mat out from the back, cut your other angle on your reg. straight line cutter and tape it all back together. Otherwise, correct, the suede gets "all marked up" from the pressure wheels!

------------------
Overcut the Barbarian
Frame it or throw it away

I believe Jean has a Fletcher F-6100. The F-6100 will cut a Vee Groove in suede without marking it. No pencil marks, no tape, no cutting from the back. Choose wide, medium, or narrow (or adjust to your liking) and it will cut a Vee Groove or 2 cleanly the way a CMC should. No need to adjust the cutter head pressure.

Thank you Scarfinger. Yes, I have the wonderful Fletcher - 6100. I will try the V-groove on Monday around the white christening gown I am shadowboxing. I have a blue suede mat (two boys wore the gown) to sew it to and wanted to design the suede with a nice white V-groove to give it a more finished look with the gown inside of that. White gown, baby blue suede mat, white frame. I thought a white V-groove on the suede would look nice around the outskirts but was afraid to attempt it for fear of ruining the mat and having to wait another 2 weeks to get another one. I'll try Monday.

In our shop we cut suede on our F-6100 just like any other mat. We have the green 6 ply blade holder set up specifically for suede. Rectangle, oval, arch, multi openings, and CAD designs cut just fine every time. I do a triple mat (all suede) from a CAD design that wraps around hockey shirts - then I cut a star in a corner or maybe a players number. Might throw in a Vee Groove if it suits the design. Haven't seen a mark on suede yet and don't expect to.

Back