• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Donmar Creations

Question Success looking for 2, 3, 4 rails of whatever????

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I see the occasional thread where our good framer is looking for enough of a moulding to complete a frame. They will need 1, 2 or 3 legs to complete the frame. Sometimes they need all 4 legs, but that is a story for another thread. There was one posted today that I almost frakenthreaded but being the gentleman that I am (hah!), I restrained myself and present this to our gentle readers here.

I've always wondered about the success of this. I see so much variation from batch to batch that this is something that I have never considered. If I can't see the proposed new leg, I won't consider it. I only sell from my inventory and some of my mouldings I have been selling for 20 years or so and sell a lot of small frames so over time I have built up quite a bit of shorter legs. When I sort through them looking for enough to make a frame, I see vast differences. Hardwood to softwood or vice versa, dimensional differences, finish differences, color changes and more.

So what has your experience been. Have you had success, scrounging up a leg or two here. Or are you like me and would rather slide into second base on a field of 80 grit sandpaper than try this?

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
We recently added a dedicated forum for this. People usually seem to find what they need, from other framers.

A framer (Thx Mo!) recently sent us a mat that we needed, for example.

Last edited:

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Larry: more or less. I have more offcuts than stars in the sky, lol! I’ll try to match one from ten years ago, and curse, but then, I’ll find another that’s a perfect fit. I’ll keep on storing offcuts until I’m horizontal, because I can’t count the times I’ve been able to build a frame from scrap. Prior to being home-based, we sold ready-makes. I have to re-think my entire operation now.

How much space do you have? I have lots.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I refinish a lot, so I can use different badges and still get a uniform result. I have a hard time throwing anything out.

Keeping track of it is a nightmare for sure. I’m due for another good cleaning soon.

But to answer your question; depends on the moulding and how easy it is to refinish

Donmar Creations