stretcher bar size

While my evil twin, Skippy, is whispering in my ear to respond "32" X 48"", I must resist.
I think your question has to go with profile dimensions rather than O.D., so, in that regard any of the Heavy Duty profiles will work.
Standard profile is usually around 3/4" X 1 1/2". Heavy duty can be the same depth, only wider, or increased in both dimensions.
If you need a tutorial, check out Jack Richeson's web site. https://products.richesonart.com/collections/stretching Stretcher Bars & Accessories

There's a some unanswered variables here.
  1. Is this for an artwork already created and has been removed from it's original frame?
    1. An original oil/acrylic painting, or a digitally printed image?
    2. If this is the case, what was the depth of the original frame?
  2. Is this for an artwork that has yet to be created?
    1. Is this for preparing a stretched canvas for painting?
    2. Is this for stretching a digitally printed image that has not been printed yet?
    3. What is the desired frame depth of the artwork or print?
    4. Will the finished item be framed or displayed as canvas only?

These are some of several considerations depending on the specific situation.
In general you'll want a frame that won't be too flexible at those spans.
And you'll also want to add enough support structure to aid in preventing bending/bowing when stretching the canvas over the frame.

Also, (if you haven't already) it would be wise to look at the differences between stretcher and strainer frames.
Each has pros and cons.
Figure out what advantages and disadvantages each would have for a stretched canvas depending on your answers to the questions above.

If I want a fairly shallow depth finished canvas then something similar in dimensions to Larson Juhl #26204 would work.

Medium depth but wider would offer a stiffer frame, such as Larson Juhl #26206

If more depth is required (usually best with "gallery wrap" style canvas) then I would use something like #6013

Again, add plenty of corner supports and cross braces, regardless of what frame shape you choose.

I've just order some keyed bars for a 56"x32" canvas and went for a 44mm x24mm bar
with two cross braces. That isn't going to bend. 😁

I framed a canvas recently that was slightly bigger and came on quite weedy bars and although
it had plenty of bracing the bottom edge curved in about 3/8". I didn't notice this until I came to fit it
into the frame. Fortunately I managed to jiggle it in with no gaps.

I'm a great believer in over-engineering when it come to stretcher bars. 😊

Back