• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Strength on Mirror Frame

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

MerpsMom

Charter Member
Feeling a little like a newbie sometimes. :) Client wants a 22 x 48 mirror, minimal framing, would like metal about 1/2" wide. I don't use metals much anymore at all and also I said not strong enough. She's coming to look at wood modern chromish finishes tomorrow. Am I wrong about narrow metal mouldings on that heavy a mirror. Would scare me and I'm warning her off but don't want to be wrong.

Cathie

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
You could use a deep rabbet metal and go: mirror + mastic + strainer bar + z-bar.

CHolt

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer

I would think that a 1" wide aluminum frame would be sturdier than a 1" wide wood frame. For an extra measure use some thread locker, like Lock Tite, on the set screws.

MerpsMom

Charter Member
That's interesting. I know I triangle the corners on a wood frame with either mending plates or actual 1/4" wood triangles. Thanx for the answer.

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
If you were to adhere the mirror to 1/2 or better plywood, then use Z-Bars as a hanging system. ( Or 4 hole large D-Rings )
Using wood will absorb the forces, then you can use any light weight frame because it bears none of the weight. Be careful with screw depth, or the mirror will break. I prefer to install mounts to the wood first, countersink the screw holes, and use counter sunk screws with nuts, now adhere mirror to the mount board.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC
Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only