Springlock and Easel Backs by Craft Inc

GuyFramington

Grumbler in Training
Business
Fine art reatiler
Hi fellow Grumblers,

I recently just moved to a larger studio and want to keep it neat and organized. I have 2 matte cutters, a Fletcher 2100, and a Fletcher Platinum edge 860 and are looking for good ways to store them. I don't use them that often, maybe about 4 times a month at the moment. I want to hang them on the wall but the bottom doesn't have a lip to attach anything too. I've toyed around with attaching something to the bottom to hang it up but idk what exactly.

So this is where I'm asking for advise. How do you guys/gals store you matte cutters? I'd prefer to keep it off the tops of tables when not in use as they are large and take up a lot of table space. Any and all advise is welcomed.

Thank you in advance to those who have any input.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
Screw in wall brackets with 2 wood shelves attached...deep enough for them to sit without too much overhang.

somewhere they won't get brushed against and knocked off the shelf.

...orrrr... get a router bit that makes key holes in the back big enough for a good sized screw and hang them from that. Problem with this is maybe the cutter bar might swing out instead of laying flat.

So... shelves, it is.

Upvote 0

GuyFramington

Grumbler in Training
Business
Fine art reatiler
Screw in wall brackets with 2 wood shelves attached...deep enough for them to sit without too much overhang.

somewhere they won't get brushed against and knocked off the shelf.

...orrrr... get a router bit that makes key holes in the back big enough for a good sized screw and hang them from that. Problem with this is maybe the cutter bar might swing out instead of laying flat.

So... shelves, it is.
Good point about the cutter bar swinging forward. It looks like a shelf is the best place for it.

Thanks for the advice!

Upvote 0
picture framing clamps by MasterClamp 2021

DVieau2

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I have a plan in my head to redo the top of my worktable with a 4 inch space ( or so) to store my 2100 plus rules and tools that would fit.
The top would hinge up for access and be clutter free when closed up.

Kind of like this only much larger and flat on top.
school desk.jpg

Upvote 0

GuyFramington

Grumbler in Training
Business
Fine art reatiler
Register for the picture framer's grumble
I bought the contents of a frame shop a few years ago.
They had the mat cutter attached to the finishing table with folding shelf supports.
Something like this: Amazon product
This is a great idea! Kinda combines the earlier suggestion of a shelf with the added bonus of it folding away when not in use. Thanks for that!

Upvote 0

GuyFramington

Grumbler in Training
Business
Fine art reatiler
I have a plan in my head to redo the top of my worktable with a 4 inch space ( or so) to store my 2100 plus rules and tools that would fit.
The top would hinge up for access and be clutter free when closed up.

Kind of like this only much larger and flat on top.
View attachment 39946
I love the idea but I'm scared that the tables I use would be so massive and heavy as is that a moving top would be really hard to open. Maybe I can add some hidden storage under the tables.

Upvote 0

alacrity8

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
I thought it was a neat idea.
It wouldn't work for our store, as we have mat storage on two sides of the table, and workstations with tools on the other sides.
I ended up reusing the hardware on a new shelf for the store.
I still have the mat cutter to sell.

Upvote 0

Framerguy1

Grumbler in Training
Business
Past owner, Touch the Wild Gallery
Some of the "Senior" framers, who were framing back in the dark ages, aka, 1900's, may remember me and know that I had more ways to hang things that I had "things" to hang for most of my 15 or so years of custom framing. I had to "Jerry" rig [sorry Jerry!] more things to accommodate my needs and always came up with something of which I could share with my fellow framers. But, on hanging mat cutters, I am coming up totally "dry"! If you were on a wood flooring, I would suggest that, since you use one or the other on the average of once a week or more, simply find a corner of the shop and lean the cutters up against the wall and cover them with a canvas or sheet. Don't do this on concrete though, you might not like the results on the bottom edge of your mat tables.

(Note: The more times you move those mat cutters and bump them here and there in the process, the more chances you will have to knock one of them out of adjustment. Most straight line mat cutters were designed to sit in one spot and not be jostled around. They need to be cutting accurately to suit a framer's needs for consistent angles and straight lines.)

That being said, the shelf idea was a good one and you would do well to consider it for a base from which to add some additional ideas to stabilize the cutters from falling. One, which pops immediately into my mind, is using simple bungee cords strung from one side of each cutter table to the other from a couple of medium sized screw eyes turned into the wall and adjusted for length as needed. Unhook one side of the bungee, let it hang from the other side's screw eye, and lift the cutter down to your work area. Another thought involves making a couple of toggles from wood and attaching them on the wall at the tops of the cutter tables. When needed, you could simply turn the toggles away from the cutter and lift it down to your work table. I am thinking of ways which also allow you to keep one hand on the mat cutter while taking it down or putting it back in place. [You wouldn't want a customer to wander into your matting area as you are propping a mat cutter up on the wall shelf with your head as you fish around for that danged bungee cord!?!]

Remember the old time "screen door" hooks? [Uh, what's a screen door???🦖]. It would probably involve turning the screw eye end into the bed of the mat cutter but it would serve the same purpose as the toggles. I'm not sure how heavy your mat cutters are but my C&H was heavier than I would have liked to lift down more than about once a year if needed.

You could build a sturdy shelf with an attached lip on the front to keep the cutter from sliding forward on the bottom side and slope it maybe 6 to 8 degrees to allow the cutters to lean back. The smaller the angle, the less times you will catch your arm or shoulder on the mat cutter handle and then cuss out the guy who suggested the idea.

[Hey, it was DAVID'S fault!!:shrug:

Upvote 0
Springlock and Easel Backs by Craft Inc
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202