Static from Tru Vue Glass?

seligart

Grumbler
I have a client that wishes to use Tru Vue museum glass.
He said he does not want the glass to actually touch the print because he is concerned about static from the glass ruining his valuable print.
Is this a valid concern?
Thanks for any help.

I have no idea whether or not the static would have any effect on the print, but his concerns are valid for other reasons, direct contact with the glass will damage the print because of several reasons, condensation being just one.

I have a client that wishes to use Tru Vue museum glass.
He said he does not want the glass to actually touch the print because he is concerned about static from the glass ruining his valuable print.
Is this a valid concern?
Thanks for any help.

I think that the client has the wrong info.
Static is probably the least concern in this issue and is really not a problem.
The only issue might be about not having an air space between the artwork and the glass because of possible condensation issues.

Last edited:
Another example of a little learning being a dangerous thing. o_O

Many customers get hold of snippets of intelligence about framing. Most of which are very misleading.

I've had people asking for 'acid-free' matboard in the belief that it will somehow heal up already damaged artwork.

Glass and static really don't go together. It is of no concern at all (I mean, take a polyester cloth and go rub lightly on the bathroom for a couple minutes, the see if you can make the cloth stick. It's this property which is why you always glass to glaze a pastel.

If the glazing actually touches the print, there's the possibility that with a little too much humidity in the frame package, the media and/or the paper may stick to the glass. There's often nothing to be done about this. Clients bring this problem 4 or 5 times a year.

So your client has the right idea that glazing not touch the sheet, but the wrong reason

Last edited:
As noted by others above, static is not an issue with glass, but the glazing should not touch the art, anyway.

Museum Glass has anti-reflection coatings, which are also not prone to static charge. In fact, when Tru Vue applies the same anti-reflection coatings to acrylic, such as Museum Optium Acrylic, the static charge is eliminated. Tru Vue StaticShield also eliminates static on otherwise-standard acrylic, which costs somewhat less than Optium.

So, if a project calls for acrylic glazing, there are some products that eliminate the issues of static charge normally associated with acrylic glazing. This may be particularly helpful in Direct Contact Overlay (DCO) framing, which should not be constructed using glass, due to its lousy thermal insulation properties. Acrylic glazing has better thermal insulation properties, thereby reducing the danger of dew-point condensation.

Last edited:
Back