• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Spun polyester for museum hinging

Frances M.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I've lost my spun polyester pieces I used with hinging with paste and mulberry paper, to keep blotters from sticking. Where can I get some more? I've done a search of that name and come up empty, so may be using the wrong term.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Try Talas and University Products. Perhaps Conservation Resources.

If you strike out, most plant nurseries have it, though it might not be as pure as what you have been using for hinging.

Frances M.

Try Talas and University Products. Perhaps Conservation Resources.

If you strike out, most plant nurseries have it, though it might not be as pure as what you have been using for hinging.
The Hollytex is a bit steep but Reemay is similar and I have a ton of that for my garden. It's OK to use that between hinge and blotter?

Melinda Tennis

At the fabric store get Pellon, not the iron on. It is interfacing for sewing and comes in different weights/thicknesses.

Donmar Creations

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Or, switch to a method that doesn't require overnight weighting. I use desiccated blotter squares and dab the back of the hinge with fresh surfaces until the hinge is dry to the touch. It should air dry rather quickly from there and requires no weighting or waiting. I don't think I have used the spun polyester when drying a hinge in over 20 years.

Preservation experts are moving away from traditional paste starch hinges (rice and wheat, food material) to the old faithful Methyl Cellulose (inedible), or to Klucel G (Hydroxypropylcellulose) that uses alcohol and water as the wetting agent so there's minimal expansion and contraction of the papers used for the hinge or the art. Neither of the two mentioned require cooking and they have a pretty good shelf life.

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Have you noticed that sticks of frame moulding are often wrapped in spun polyester or other synthetic fabrics? Not conservation grade, not necessarily clean, but probably could be useful if washed.

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
I use paper towels and little squares of MountCor release paper. Not saying it's the best, but it's what I do, and it usually works fine. This thread is an encouragement to improve.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
I put a piece of rag mat (Rising) on either side and replace it after a bit.
A small weight bag helps to keep flat.