• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Speakers for laptop?

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
I finally succumbed to the temptation of joining Zoom for a concert last night and realized that the speakers on both of my laptops are virtually worthless.

The laptops (old Gateway and newer Lenovo) are both stationary - I keep them plugged in and in the same spots.

So what would be a good speaker for them? Over the years I have bought a couple of cheap little USB speakers which are both muted and scratchy.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I haven't bought any speakers for awhile but there are plenty of reviews out there. Google 'best laptop usb speakers' or 'usb speaker reviews' for mega information overload. Of course your budget will have a lot to do with this. How much are you willing to spend?

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
If the laptop has Bluetooth ability, you could also use a wireless Bluetooth speaker. Many bluetooth speakers are fairly powerful and inexpensive.

Devices like Alexa and Google can also be used as a bluetooth speaker, if you already have one of those nearby.

Headphones are another option.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Do your laptops have a audio or AUX output? There are some $99 Bose that look good but need an audio or AUX output.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Framar

WOW Framer
No luck finding anything on the old laptop.

And I can't even find my own files on the new one (which is why I am still coaxing the old one along).

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Your old laptop might not be bluetooth, but your new one should.

I don't know what system you're on, I just bought a new laptop and still learning all the ins and outs, but things are easy to find.
Where do you save your files to?
I

Framar

WOW Framer
I have all my files backed up on a Seagate stand alone hard drive and followed all the instructions to transfer them to the new laptop. I have spent 20 years organizing my files - I have thousands of photos, and they were all filed by date taken and many were duplicated in special named file folders.

On the new laptop it looks like they were shot in there like leaves from a leafblower. Takes me pages of clicking to find them. Only have any remote semblance of luck if I know the actual name of the jpg. Which is what I use the old laptop for - sigh.

I really ought to pay someone to do this properly.

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
If the image itself does not contain the date, then yes, it would probably be all over the place. I have the same with very old photos (where there really is no coding) and the new ones fall into place as they should.
Makes for an interesting timeline sometimes.

Framar

WOW Framer
I did a bit of research and just ordered a set of speakers that clips onto the top or sides of the laptop. USB powered - and cost less than $25. So I will report back on how they perform once they arrive. I like the fact that they need have no footprint on my cramped workspace - plus I can switch them back and forth between laptops.

Framar

WOW Framer
Holy cowabunga!

New speakers are FABULOUS!

Now if only I had a more stable internet connection and higher bandwidth.

Oh well, at least I can listen to my own music very nicely now.

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System
Ad Banner for SmallCorp