• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Solution to Pet Peeve?

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
One of my pet peeves in framing has always been the constant need to unclog the tips of glue bottles. If only I could get back all the hours I've spent unclogging or cleaning them. (I've often wondered why they couldn't make Teflon spouts.) Well, it looks like a solution may be on the horizon. Check it out: HERE.

:cool: Rick

GreyDrakkon

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I've never really had an issue with clogging, as long as I wiped off the tip before capping it. Prior boss never wiped off the cap, and I'd have to waste time cleaning out the cap and unclogging the nozzle.

DVieau2

PFG, Picture Framing God
I save the good nozzles and caps of markers, glue bottles and spray cans.

When I lose one or one or it becomes clogged I can quickly to to my little drawer for a replacement without delay.

Glue caps can be soaked and unclogged later.

Doug

FramerCat

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I might be a little messed up in the head. I find it soothing and very satisfying unclogging the glue bottles. It gives me a moment to slow down and think before going back to the rush of framing.

Ed

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Looks like Elmers is getting the exclusive. I would love a product like this! Yes, I save all the caps I can and sometimes, I even remember to put them back on the bottle...if I can find the many that should be around the work shop.

I would be quite happy already with a cap that would dangle on a string attached to the bottle.

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
I find it soothing and very satisfying unclogging the glue bottles. It gives me a moment to slow down and think before going back to the rush of framing.

Ed

Zen Ed? :)

DVieau2

PFG, Picture Framing God
I might be a little messed up in the head. I find it soothing and very satisfying unclogging the glue bottles....... Ed

There's a dark place for you on the internet. Go to You Tube and search pimple popping.
  • :eek:
Doug

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
My solution has been to keep my glue bottle tightly capped and stored nozzle-down in a heavy ceramic coffee mug. A framer friend once told me that putting water in the mug 1" or-so deep would eliminate the need to cap the nozzle, but I'm not sure about that.

When a plug of glue dries in the nozzle, a lot of framers would just shove it back into the bottle. Don't do that. The plug would not dissolve, but would live to plug again when it eventually finds its way back to the end of the nozzle. As more plugs are shoved back into the bottle over time, the plugging problem becomes more frequent.

J

jferrari

Something I've been using for many years are caulk condoms. I know, it sounds funny but you can check them out here. You can go right over the cap for longer term storage or without the cap for daily use. - Jim

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

FramerCat

There's a dark place for you on the internet. Go to You Tube and search pimple popping.
  • :eek:
Doug
I'm afraid to look. I might like it and I don't have time for any new hobbies.

tedh

I'm with Ferrari Man: there's no way I want more chemicals lining food containers.

Prospero

I slice the bottle in half and dip a brush in. At the end of the day I wrap the whole thing in cling film. Brush and all. :p

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

Andrew Lenz Jr.

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Looks like Elmers is getting the exclusive.

Then I'll be buying a bottle of Elmer's and replacing the contents with CornerWeld!

Andrew

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
I just give the bottle, in its upright position, a squeeze after each use - hear air come out and it'll probably be clear next time it's needed, if not, quick poke with an awl, no big deal.

Paul Cascio

I decided to just buy smaller bottles of glue and to keep an extra always on-hand. Ends frustration -- just throw the bad one away.

Ironically, since I started doing this I've been more vigilant about not letting the caps get clogged, so I haven't had to throw many away.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I haven't had a problem with clogged glue bottles for well over a year. I had my wife keep a small Dawn Dish Washing soap bottle when it was empty. I rinsed it out really well, filled it with Corner Weld, and tried it for a couple of months. I ended up filling another bottle for my other fitting table and another bottle for the underpinner. I have yet to have a clogged bottle or a lost cap. I mentioned it on the Framers Corner but it was poo pooed by one of the heavy hitters framing gurus so it didn't take off. Try the Dawn bottle you may like it but be sure to clean it out well so you don't contaminate the glue - I haven't had a problem. Just a thought... Joe B

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Jeff Rodier

Do those have the push/pull caps?

I started buying the pint size bottles of Corner Weld and have a lot less trouble since I did that. I lose the caps pretty fast so most of the bottle is used with no cap. The opening is small and dried glue tends to pull off along with the little bit inside but I keep a T pin that I run around the inner portion at the end if I get a clog. Not many problems but if the Dawn bottles eliminate the occasional hassle I'll use them. How many ounces are those small bottles?

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Jeff,
The Dawn bottles are 9 fl oz. I think the biggest reason there are no clogs is because there is really no neck to allow the glue to stand and harden. Every once in awhile you may have to remove the glue from the inside of the cap but that is very easy to do because it doesn't adhere to the bottle cap tightly. Like I said earlier, I have yet to get my 1st clog. The glue that hardens in the cap is so minimal that it is absolutely no bother. I do recap after every use but with the cap attached it is no problem to open an close. I buy Corner Weld by the gallon so I don't have to fiddle around with those small bottles and tiny red caps. If you do try the Dawn bottle let me know what you think - I really like them and I'm sure that others will too if they try them.

By the way, I do rinse the bottle really good just to be sure there is no soap resign left in them. I keep rinsing until there are no longer any suds in the bottle. I don't know if the soap would contaminate the glue but in my opinion a good rinse should take away chance of that happening. Joe

Last edited:

Kkastorf

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Cutting the opening in the glue bottle large enough to overcome surface tension works well. Instead of leaving a thin film to dry across the opening, the glue runs back into the bottle. What little is left in the sides of the cone pulls out easily the next morning, after drying.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC