So Sad, But Maybe Not

Ron Eggers

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I had a kid call me late in the day yesterday. One of his teachers had given him my name.

He had a "rare and valuable printing" that was buckling because it was smooshed into a poster frame (the kind with Masonite and a Styrene sheet.) His teacher told him I could probably save it.

I suggested he bring it in for examination. He called three times on the way, since it was after closing time and he wanted to make sure I would still be there. He was very anxious.

It turned out to be a Lord of the Rings poster on the lightest possible coated poster stock. Not only did it have those tight little ripples that come from nowhere-to-go-in-the-poster-frame, but somebody (the original owner) had clumsily trimmed it to fit in the "frame" to begin with.

Some friends had already offered excellent advice on the matter. One, who I guess thought it was a shirt, had suggested he steam it to remove the wrinkles. Another told him to take it out of the frame (good) and roll it up for storage (not so good, since he wants to look at it 30 times each day.)

After much discussion, we are going to dry mount it to remove the little ripples and shrink wrap it to keep the cat hair off of it. He went home with a quote for a metal frame and UV glass so he can present his folks with a birthday request.

I imagine this was this young man's first experience in a frame shop and I hope it was a good one for him. He's already learned a lesson that many adults NEVER learn: That something isn't rare and valuable just because someone tells you it IS, or some day WILL BE. And if it DOES happen to be rare and valuable, trimming it down and smooshing it into a poster frame isn't going to enhance the value. So buy art you enjoy and take good care of it.

He left with a smile on his face, thanking me profusely for staying open late. It turned out to be the highlight of a pretty-good day.

Thanks for letting me share a story that served no useful purpose whatsoever.

BTW, I never ONCE mentioned the terms "preservation" or "acid-free."

Ron

I have always liked you…….I just like you more now.

Talk about taking “care” of a customer or potential customer……I say 10 out of 10…..”The best possible customer experience”

I never ONCE mentioned the terms "preservation" or "acid-free."

Perhaps the terminology we are all struggling for is that we offer a level/class (use whatever word you like so long as it is inclusive of all types of framing) of framing that will offer the best possible “Care” for the job on hand.

Care Level/Class 1

Care Level/Class 2

Care Level/Class 3

Care Level/Class 4

Etc.

Etc.

Ron I think you good care of this customer has opened up a possible solution as to how we define the type of framing we do or can do.

Sorry for going off thread a bit….but you have my mind going at a rate of knots.

Rgs

D

Edit
Just to clarify the Class or Level would of course be followed by a customer friendly definition of what the Class/Level of Care means and in “ten words or less” if possible

Thanks for letting me share a story that served no useful purpose whatsoever.

You're welcome.

It does not happen too often, but I think I enjoy when young folks get involved in the process as much as they do.

Perhaps the terminology we are all struggling for is that we offer a level/class (use whatever word you like so long as it is inclusive of all types of framing) of framing that will offer the best possible “Care” for the job on hand.
Sorry for going off thread a bit….but you have my mind going at a rate of knots.Edit
Just to clarify the Class or Level would of course be followed by a customer friendly definition of what the Class/Level of Care means and in “ten words or less” if possible
smileyshot22.gif

Rgs

L

I'll tell you what I enjoyed about this encounter.

This kid came in with the idea that his poster was exceedingly valuable - worth maybe $200! :eek: Somebody had told him that.

I suggested he check around and see if anyone might offer him $200 or $2 in its present condition. I wasn't trying to be harsh - just realistic.

Turns out he doesn't care. He doesn't want to sell it - even for $200. He loves it and he wants to enjoy it - chopped edges and all.

That's why we're going to dry mount it. And, come to think of it, he chose a more expensive, natural wood frame, instead of the metal, 'cause he thought it looked better. He was right.

I wish all my customers were thus motivated.

And so what if his parents are going to pay for it? How many 16-year-olds would choose custom framing for a birthday present?

I just hope I don't screw up the dry mounting.

Ron -

that was a GREAT story... You "did good" helping someone out... and I think you gave him a great first time frame shop experience!!

I have drymounted posters of the thinnest quality (or lack thereof) and they have come out incredibly good - inspite of many seemingly unreversable wrinkles...

Good luck!! And thanks for sharing

Roz

Hey Ron-We seem to get a bunch of these valuable heirlooms, also. I can't tell if this poster this young man has is the type I'm talking about. But, there is one print that has a "copperish" leaf-type surface to highlight the print features. It's not a metallic ink, but, rather a "plasticized film" overlay (our opinion). If you look at it at an angle, you might get a better idea.

If it is this type, do not dry mount it. This print is mulit-layered and will look like an alligator belt as soon as removed from the press.

We did this as a while you wait and, of course, the "collector" was in the store when it came out. He thought we had just damaged the Magna Carta.

One of my ever-so-resourceful employees walked across the hall to a Suncoast Pictures and purchased a new one for $19.99. So much for "irreplaceable"

The other one I love is the "Spider Man" poster that has the Twin Towers in the reflection. It suppossed to worth Gazillions since it was halted mid-run and only a half a gazillion were produced.

Every time a young lad brings one in, it s handled with kid gloves. When we give them the full protection/preservation approach (and their eyes roll back), the roll it back up.

I suspect their first foray in to our world isn't quite as positive as your story.

No special surface treatment on this puppy, Bob. I did test a corner with the tacking iron, just to be sure. If it melted in my press, I'm sure it would be worth at least $200.00

Whoever trimmed it used his mom's sewing scissors. The edges are all over the place.

Ron, I second what Roz said: that was a GREAT story... You "did good" helping someone out... and I think you gave him a great first time frame shop experience!!

I got into this business because I needed some drawings mounted and wrapped for a senior art portfolio in high school. My dad had a friend who owned a gallery/frame shop. When I went in to have this done, he helped me nicely, but also showed me around. When I started college (here in town) the following year I went to work for him over Christmas break when he was extra busy. I ended up staying, working full time all summer and at Christmas, and on Saturdays during the school year. After I graduated I worked there full time for about another year before I started my own shop. That was in 1977.
So the lesson is: always be nice and offer great service. You'll probably get a repeat customer, but who knows- you might get a good employee too.

:cool: Rick

That's a lovely story, Ron.

It's so nice that I forgive you for not showing up in StPaul this weekend.

Kit

Originally posted by Ron Eggers:
Whoever trimmed it used his mom's sewing scissors. The edges are all over the place.
Then that person should be glad not to have grown up in my house. We were well warned that anyone caught using Gram's sewing scissors for anything other than fabric would be subject to "a punishment so awful I haven't thought of it yet!"

I enjoy the appreciation we get from some of the younger customers when a last minute gift comes together.

I wonder about the "collectible" notion that seems to be everywhere these days. If I don't open my happpy meal toy I can sell it on eBay in 20 years. anything from the Lord of the Rings movies will be collectible in the future - will it really be if everyone saves theirs in mint condition? Recently I've been admonished because I've let my son play with the Hess trucks he's received each Christmas. Isn't that what they're for?????

Oh wait. . .what was this thread about????
Yes Ron, yours is an excellent example of customer care. I find myself wondering if the teacher is already a client of yours.

Yes, Meghan, his teacher has been a customer for many years. In fact, she has work "in progress" right now.

I guess our little talk about the "collectability" of the poster didn't quite take, after all. I mounted and shrink-wrapped the poster and he picked it up on Saturday. He figured, if he hung on to it for a while, it would be worth quite-a-lot, despite it's condition. He knows it's rare, 'cause he's only seen four of them.

My son used to buy sports cards. He'd also buy the price guides, and decide that a particular card was worth $500, because the guide said so. When he needed a few dollars, I'd urge him to try to find someone who would pay him $500 for the card. "Or, you could mow the lawn."*

But, as I've mentioned before, adults aren't any smarter.

*I don't mean to suggest that I would pay $500 for someone to mow our small lawn. The going rate was more like $5.00. I don't want Jerry V showing up at my door with a lawnmower.

You may have inspired a future framer - you never know!!

I had a customer in the other day with her daughter (about 14/15 years old) Mom got the pricing of her framing and mom's response was $194 each!! The daughters response "mom, you are going to have it the rest of your life, just do it!" Mom said "okay" I think I may have found a future framing sales person :)

made my day!

elaine

Well, I see the sinister Ron has lulled all of you to sleep, by helping a young boy get his poster framed.
But then, the truth begins to come out.....

Originally posted by Ron Eggers:
Yes, Meghan, his teacher has been a customer for many years. In fact, she has work "in progress" right now.
Aha! A clear conspiracy. Before too long, Ron will have taken over ALL your frame shops! Muwahahahahah!!! And there won't be any Michaels or other Big Boxes.

Just "The Total Picture". And they'll be everywhere. (even on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza!!!) He'll advertise on highway signs, during prime time TV..ARRRRGGGHHHH!! When the time comes, don't say I didn't warn you. Sorta like the old sci-fi movies tag line: "YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! LOOK TO THE SKIES!!"

Of course you know I'm 'messing' with Ron. I think he did a good thing.
And Meg, we musta had the same grandmother! I got the same 'warning/threat' about her 'good scissors'. And God help you if you even looked sideways at her pinking shears!

Naw, Charles, I said it before. Ron's just gone mellow on us. I think he did a great job with this youngster, but when he starts talking about granola and defying loggers by engaging in tree sitting we'll know the 60's flashback has finally taken hold.

...Then again, I had a bunch of Rocky Horror Picture Show (1st printing) posters from back in the day when I was in the 8th Street Playhouse Cast. They are all still in their original folded condition with the exception of the two that I mounted on foamcore with Vac-U-Mount spray back in '82. The unmounted ones are now worth around $100.00 each. Just goes to show that what is common one day can be uncommon tomorrow, so I suggest that you follow the advice of my mentor, Ira Feincle and treat every piece like it's worth $2 million even if it's worth 2 cents :cool:

Thanks, Bogframe. I was waiting for that and would have been very disappointed if someone hadn't brought up the "one man's garbage" argument.

Oh I had to come back here and share this. Remember when we stood in line for 2 hours in the rain for a rare Cabbage patch doll and paid $30 bucks for the priviledge. Just got off ebay.. "3 "vintage" cabbage patch dolls in excellent condition, signed...blahh blah blah..." $6.99.

Back