SNOOP & DRE

CharoDesigns210

Grumbler
Business
Charo Designs
I purchased this signed photograph from a friend of mine who deals with collectibles and memorabilia. It's a print featuring hip hop artists Snoop Dogg & Dr. Dre, and is signed by Snoop Dogg. They are resting on a 1962 Impala belonging to the Imperials Car Club. This print and frame up belongs to my son, who loves hip hop and also helped with this project.

This piece consisted of the print being raised with black foam board on a black suede mat, a black wooden frame wrapped with '62 Impala beltline trim and UV protection acrylic.

We went to a nearby salvage yard I like visiting that has many old model cars, and one I knew would have the trim pieces I needed from a '62 Impala. The method I came up with cutting the Impala trim pieces was by taping the wooden frame mouldings behind the beltline trim and using the dremel to cut them. Then I used the file to smooth the edges to fit as best possible. Once we got the pieces to fit, we tried polishing them ourselves but soon realized it was tougher than we thought and decided to leave that task to the pros. So we dropped off the trim pieces with a friend who owns a polishing and plating shop, to receive a show quality finish.

When the pieces were done getting polished, we then applied and cut trim decals purchased from Impala Bob's; which gives the trim pieces an incredible look. We then dry fit all the pieces before final assembly. The Impala trim was attached to the wooden frame using Dap Weldwood contact cement.

This was an extensive project, but was all worth it to see the expression on my son's face when I presented him with the final product. It took about 2 months to complete and was finished in February 2020.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Charo Designs

20180905_184726.jpg
20181124_112522.jpg
20190102_210842.jpg
20190120_154847.jpg
20190120_162507.jpg
20200205_194442.jpg
20200205_195027.jpg
20200206_200844.jpg

Thank you so much Ylva. I appreciate your response and am surprised folks are liking my work. It definitely helps build my confidence level because most times I fear I create things only I like, and wonder what others may think.

I am learning and realizing so much from this forum. You are all a great inspiration to a hobbyist like myself.

Yes, the things we do for our kids.

It is rare that you can get paid for this kind of work. But it is the stuff that makes it all worthwhile.

I used to do one highly labor-intensive job a year. I learned most from trying things I had never done before or had any training in.

Keep on. This is a great example of truly creative and skillful work.

Keep on. This is a great example of truly creative and skillful work.

Thank you, thank you....

The only folks that see my work are my clients, which are family & friends for the most part, so it is very encouraging to hear master framers like yourselves speak highly of my work. Will certainly be sharing these with my wife and kids!

WOW! What a great design!
Your idea of using the Impala chrome trim as a frame is genius!

Gives me some inspiration to do something beyond the ordinary with my collection of old Jeep parts I saved from a 1980's Wagoneer I really loved.
I kept some of the dashboard knobs and radio dials, and some of the chrome Jeep letterings from the fenders.
One or two photos of "ol' Woody" with those parts would look great in something like what you did.
Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

You should send Snoop a shot of it. See if he wants to spend a bucket or two of money.

Thanks Drakkon, I appreciate it. I have folks wanting something similar done, the only thing is finding the right print to do it with. The '62 Impala trim was tricky since the width varies, but good too cause the trim had a nice width to it and covered the wooden frame underneath very well.

I always welcome a creative challenge if a client is willing to pay for it. I have a few personal prints I will be framing that will require automotive trim, so hopefully those turn out as good as this one did. The turning decals on Impala trim really adds that wow factor.

You should send Snoop a shot of it. See if he wants to spend a bucket or two of money.

I already have, but don't know if the email I sent it to was legit or not.

I did the same thing with the PRIMUS print. Sent a picture to the poster artist, Ivan Minsloff, and he loved it.

I will keep y'all posted if I hear anything from Snoop.

Last edited:
Back