Sick Mitre Mite VN42

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
We had to re build & refurbish our silent compressor this week, because of an unfortunate incident with a mouse eating through an air line and the fire dept being dispatched because the compressor had badly overheated on a weekend. :( After putting it all back together with new gaskets and oil and testing things out, I notice a slight hiss coming from the foot pedal of this vnailer. (something inside, it isnt the lines going in) It works fine, but the compressor is cycling more than it should, and I would like to replace or repair the piece. (before the problem worsens)

Any idea what part(s) may be needed, and a reliable source?

Thanks!

alacrity8

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure that you can get parts through Fletcher or Frameware.
We had to replace a foot pedal about a decade ago.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Possibly when the compressor overheated after the mouse ate the air line, some debris from the chewed line was passed on to the Mitre Mite and is stuck somewhere in the foot pedal assembly.
We always unplug and turn off the compressors at the end of every day after bleeding them.
If something is going to go wrong, it will happen on the weekend...:shutup:
I used Mitre Mites for many years and have repaired some of them mainly just rebuilding cylinders and replacing seals and O-rings.
I've been using and working on Cassese v-nailers now for about 10 years and they all can have issues.

I worked for 15 years for a very high end design and framing company in Scottsdale before the owner retired and closed in 2008.
It was a 2 story building owned by the lady who owned the business.
One weekend, The toilet upstairs that only my boss and her assistant used overflowed with water and it broke thru the bathroom floor and then the ceiling of the bathroom below that the employees used.

This created a flood in the framing area that damaged the 50 finished frames for a hospital job.:help:
The artwork in the frames wasn't damaged, just the bottoms of the mats and the bottoms of the frames.
Insurance covered it and we reframed the pieces saving what we could.

I'm still framing for the former assistant since she opened her own design company in 2001.
She is very successful and her business has sports clients, movie people, hospitals, restaurants, law offices etc. even in other states.

All of that said...
I used to call and talk to Phil the tech support and parts guy at ITW AMP Mitre Mite in Illinois before Fletcher took over.
He was great but I don't think that he's there anymore.

Have you tried to contact FrameShop 1 (Steve) at Aim ?
Besides selling equipment he has a lot of knowledge about the equipment.

Good luck with your issue.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Thanks. I suspect this has been leaking for a long time. I used to hear the compressor come on once or twice per hour, for no reason, but couldn't figure out the source. The line they chewed went to the Valiani CMC, and was in a different room. (I have 3 air lines coming from the compressor, to different places). The a/c people left a gaping hole where they were coming in, and it has since been repaired.

Our alarm panel has a smoke and thermal sensor, which fortunately went off at about 5am on a Sunday morning, to let us know of the problem. (It called the central office, which called the fire department and us immediately)

I may try taking it apart, after the holiday rush, to see if I can clean and lubricate something. It seems a shame to replace the entire assembly when it probably only needs the valve piece.

I will check with Fletcher next week

Thanks
Mike

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
I'm not familiar with your exact machine as we are Cassese folks, but I think Neil is on the right track. Your foot pedal control valve got clogged with some kind of small particle which is not allowing the valve to fully close which is causing an air leak from your exhaust
port.

I know you're handy and process-minded but if it were me, I wouldn't bother with taking the control valve apart and messing with the rods and rings and seals - I'd just get a new one.