Sheep Skin Deed

gmff

True Grumbler
I have an old sheep skin deed that has come in. I am not sure what to do. The lady brought in another one that was framed with a mat and back, this one has no space around the sides for a mat. Any suggestions of how to keep it in place. Thanks

A sink mat.
This is a 3 layer mat system where the top is the window to see the document. The next lower mat is cut to the size of the document and is backed with an uncut mount board. The document can be inserted in this "package" without any attachments so that it can be held in place with the edges of the middle board. I would cut this opening with 90° cuts since they will not be visible through the smaller opening of the top mat. You could also float mount the document onto the mount board. There is no disadvantage in seeing the edges of the document by 1/16" to 3/16".

A sink mat.
This is a 3 layer mat system where the top is the window to see the document. The next lower mat is cut to the size of the document and is backed with an uncut mount board. The document can be inserted in this "package" without any attachments so that it can be held in place with the edges of the middle board. I would cut this opening with 90° cuts since they will not be visible through the smaller opening of the top mat. You could also float mount the document onto the mount board. There is no disadvantage in seeing the edges of the document by 1/16" to 3/16".

I've seen the kind of mount where fine threads (of cotton? something else?) are frayed into fans of fiber at the edges and attached to the document all around, with the other ends of the threads anchored to the backing substrate, but how would you float with nothing showing?

I've seen the kind of mount where fine threads (of cotton? something else?) are frayed into fans of fiber at the edges and attached to the document all around, with the other ends of the threads anchored to the backing substrate, but how would you float with nothing showing?
I don’t post much, as I’ve little to add. I’m also unemployed, so I’ve not the opportunities to discover new things.

I think the post you’re referring to is:

After I got good at this technique, I priced the mounting out at 15 minutes a string, but I might get it done in 12 minutes each. It’s amazing how long it takes to fray out the ends of the strings.

I don’t post much, as I’ve little to add. I’m also unemployed, so I’ve not the opportunities to discover new things.

I think the post you’re referring to is:

After I got good at this technique, I priced the mounting out at 15 minutes a string, but I might get it done in 12 minutes each. It’s amazing how long it takes to fray out the ends of the strings.
Thank you! I've looked for this and couldn't find it. Much appreciated. If you want to drive yourself batty, you could advertise as a maverick vellum stretcher. Wishing you well. :)

Thank you for your kind words. These days, those are especially important. The kind of small repetitive task this kind of mounting requires doesn’t drive me batty, it’s sort of meditative. What is driving me batty is my new titanium shoulder and my inability to mop my kitchen floor. I’m not going to get into the insurace problems of working at home, but…

I shall shamelessly shill for my former boss at
between the two of us, we can get the job done right, whatever it is.

Back