• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Sentient Flum

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Maybe not so funny, but maybe facepalm worthy.
Google Powderpost Beetle, and check the inside of the frame for any holes and powdered wood.
The powder is what is expelled by the beetle as it bores its way through the wood and is known as frass.

The reason you didn't see the little guy is he had not emerged from the wood when you dust covered the frame.
Put him is a plastic bag and freeze him. If you got this frame as a chop you need to notify the distributor that they may have an infestation. If you have lengths of it in your shop, get them out of there ASAP.
Take the art out of the frame and put the frame in a plastic bag in case there are others about to emerge. The are not likely to cause any damage in your shop when they come out of a frame because they have a very short life expectancy outside of the wood. They normally only move from one piece of wood to another when the pieces are in contact with one another. One infested piece of moulding in a bundle can result in the whole bundle being infested.

You can sanitize the frame if you have a big enough freezer, and can put it in for a few freeze-thaw cycles.

I've had a couple instances of this and had one box of moulding that was totally infested. I've also gotten corner samples that were infested.

Edit: and it is flumb, the b being silent, unless it's noisy..

Mary Beth van der Horst

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Maybe not so funny, but maybe facepalm worthy.
Google Powderpost Beetle, and check the inside of the frame for any holes and powdered wood.
The powder is what is expelled by the beetle as it bores its way through the wood and is known as frass.

The reason you didn't see the little guy is he had not emerged from the wood when you dust covered the frame.
Put him is a plastic bag and freeze him. If you got this frame as a chop you need to notify the distributor that they may have an infestation. If you have lengths of it in your shop, get them out of there ASAP.
Take the art out of the frame and put the frame in a plastic bag in case there are others about to emerge. The are not likely to cause any damage in your shop when they come out of a frame because they have a very short life expectancy outside of the wood. They normally only move from one piece of wood to another when the pieces are in contact with one another. One infested piece of moulding in a bundle can result in the whole bundle being infested.

You can sanitize the frame if you have a big enough freezer, and can put it in for a few freeze-thaw cycles.

I've had a couple instances of this and had one box of moulding that was totally infested. I've also gotten corner samples that were infested.

Edit: and it is flumb, the b being silent, unless it's noisy..
Farkle! I'm really hoping it was a striped gnat and not a type of wood-boring beetle. I'm pretty sure I saw wings. As for the moulding, it was a piece of length that I didn't order but mysteriously showed up with a shipment, so I used it for funsies. It's possible that he was just hanging out on the busy diamonds when checking for *flumbs* last night, but it could be more sinister as you suggest. I'll keep vigilant around my wood and if I see another I'll try harder to ID. Thanks for the heads up, Wally!

I'll let you know if this escalates to entomological war.

Bruce Papier

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
We had nothing to do with the insertion of these bugs, but some years ago a customer brought in a framed print because she noticed that the wall behind the picture and the back of the picture were wet. The backing paper was still wet and torn and the mat was a little moist so she wanted to replace the mat. O.K., easy enough. She leaves and I took the picture into the back room to remove the wet paper. Hundreds of termites. How they didn't fall out on the design table I'll never know. I called to let her know and she told me she had noticed a small hole in the wall behind the picture. It turns out the termites had eaten a hole in the exterior wall of the house and through to the interior wall. Apparently, the holes were big enough that rain blew through.

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Mary Beth van der Horst

I'll go ahead and assume the fetal position and start rocking back and forth. THIS IS NOT IDEAL. I haven't seen anything else like it today, but I'll probably jump at every spec for a while. Maybe it's a good excuse to purge the rest of the moulding I inherited since most of it is warped and old anyways. I'm starting to look at my backroom like a potential high class bug hotel. Oh! I did a project for a local exterminator a couple months ago. Maybe I can call in a favor if our worst fears prove true. As for a freezer, lol BOTH of mine are broken right now, as would be my luck. Deep Breath. Vigilance for now.

Untitled.jpg

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Bruce, I've had two termite infested frames. One from a leaky skylight, and one from a leaky roof. In both instances I went on site to retrieve the art.
The termites are subterranean variety, and leave the ground at night to forage along wet pathways, and return during the daylight hours.
As with your customer's there was but a single hole in the dust cover. I would wager that the roof leaked, attracting the termites and they ate the exterior and interior walls from within.
Mary Beth, you can make a little coin with these leftovers, but they cost you the space they take up as opposed to product that can make you more coin. I am very sympathetic with folks that save scrap and freebies to make few bucks, but the time and maintenance really isn't worth it. I have bought (probably too much) what I call "Tomato Stake Moulding" AKA so cheap, you could use it in gardening. It pays for itself pretty quickly, but then there's the storage of the rest. I'm still guilty of that, but at a different level. The problem is space is finite, and no matter how good the deal, if you can't manage it, it isn't a good deal.

Prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I would dis-assemble and check the inside of the frame for flight-holes and any wood dust.
It isn't the adult beetles that do the chewing, it's the larvae. Once they have pupated and emerged
their only objective is to breed and lay eggs. So the life-cycle continues.
If there are no holes then the chances are that it's not a powder post beetle. 😐

Nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Sentient Flum is a good band name.
Live Music Rock GIF by Greta Van Fleet
😎🤟🤩

My favourite songs by Sentient Flum:

"Under my Flum"
"Cruel Flummer"
"Flum On Hear the Noise"
"Flum Kind of Wonderful"
😹
Anyone else got some?.....

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

Mary Beth van der Horst

I would dis-assemble and check the inside of the frame for flight-holes and any wood dust.
It isn't the adult beetles that do the chewing, it's the larvae. Once they have pupated and emerged
their only objective is to breed and lay eggs. So the life-cycle continues.
If there are no holes then the chances are that it's not a powder post beetle. 😐
Well I took it apart again this morning and scrutinously checked every side of the moulding for holes... and got nothing... not even a teeny tiny one. So I guess I'll tentatively go back to chuckling about the whole incident.

Posting a picture of my backroom last night was the perspective I needed to clean this morning. No short sticks laying around and no more sawdust under the chopper. Some of those boxes of length standing up are marked to trash soon too. I had already switched to ordering chops/joins from one of my suppliers, so that's already started to cut down on my clutter. The fated balloon diamond dot I found the bug in was one of 7 pieces a friend did, and she was letting me use whatever scraps I had lying around, so it was a good opportunity to look through what I had and realize most of the older length is too warped or scuffed up to justify keeping anyways. Also, since she is a friend, probably the best and most forgiving person to understand if something isn't 100% perfect.

😎🤟🤩

"Under my Flum"
"Cruel Flummer"
"Flum On Hear the Noise"
"Flum Kind of Wonderful"
😹
Anyone else got some?.....

Im partial to some of their darker jams:
"Flumbthing in the Way"
"Flumb as you are"
"Flum Hell They Came"
"Far Flum the Fame"

Last edited:

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
😎🤟🤩

"Under my Flum"
"Cruel Flummer"
"Flum On Hear the Noise"
"Flum Kind of Wonderful"
😹
Anyone else got some?...

With auditions hosted by Heidi Flum.

P.S. Something about picture framing.

Prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Well I took it apart again this morning and scrutinously checked every side of the moulding for holes... and got nothing... not even a teeny tiny one. So I guess I'll tentatively go back to chuckling about the whole incident.

Sounds like it was just a general-purpose bug that somehow stowed away.
They are crafty little critters. 😒

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades
Ad Banner for SmallCorp