Seeking advice about cleaning a white liner.

I have tried before, without much luck. I know dusting doesn't help. Sometimes placing sticky tape over it and pull it gently might lift some dirt. Maybe a little bleach with water, but it is hard to control.

I ended up just painting it with acrylic paint, slightly watered down.

Try the tape lift, dry cleaning pad and kneadable eraser first. If that doesn't work "Fels Naptha" is a laundry soap in bar form that we use to get stains out of my son's baseball pants. IDK, it might work. If it can't get any worse then anything is worth a try. If it's been seperated from the art and outer frame I'd have nothing against spraying it with lukewarm water to soak the fabric and to rinse it after scrubbing with soap. Use your air nozzle to blow dry as much as you can, not a hair drier, then air dry thoroughly. After that you still have the option of recovering it with fabric or just replacing it with precovered liner.

and, after you did that all: paint it! LOL

I have had good results with acrylic paint. I did about 20 of them for someone who wanted to add a little light color but didn't want to replace it all. It turned out much better than I had hoped (I did tell him I wouldn't guarantee the results, he is a long time customer so I had no problem experimenting on a liner).

I did the lifting and kneading eraser en used magic eraser as well. It helped a little, but not all that much

Clean as best you can, with a dry cleaning pad, then cover with thinned down gesso and paint with desired shade of acrylic. It is linen - same as artist canvas. Gesso is merely a much cheaper base coat (like primer) which gives you a great surface to paint onto.

The only time I tried cleaning a linen covered slip the fabric shrunk and started coming away from the timber so I did what I should have done first up and replaced it.

Back