• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Question Securing Screws on a Metal Object (shadowbox)

Ad Banner for SmallCorp

JohnDon

Grumbler in Training
I am framing a surgical medical bracket that was used to help fuse a broken bone in an arm. It has several screws that fit in holes in the bracket. Only a few of the screws thread and can be secured in place, the other screws all sit loose in the bracket and will jiggle and fall out.

My question, How can I secure the loose screws in place in a way that won't be visually obvious?

My first thought is tacking a little bit of glue around the head of the screw, but I'm not sure what kind of glue I should use. Any thoughts?

A picture of how I plan to mount it (orientation)
FullSizeRender.jpg

closeup shots of screws
IMG_8023.JPG IMG_8022.JPG

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I would use a drop of Super Glue, it dries clear. Dentist & Doctors use a product like Super Glue all the time.

Lafontsee

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Just spitballing here.

What about a plastic washer of the type you see attached to electrical outlets used to keep the screws attached to the product before it's installed? Something like this...
http://inspectapedia.com/electric/Receptacles_0562_DJFcs.jpg

You could easily make something like this out of some durable clear plastic cut to shape and drilled.

It may or may not be secure enough, though.

James

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
That's a good idea, James. I would think the plastic that milk bottles are made of would be durable and unobtrusive enough.
:cool: Rick

JohnDon

Grumbler in Training
i'm going to try the plastic washer idea, i would prefer not to glue it if possible. good idea about using a plastic bottle. Thanks for all the suggestions

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.
W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades