Problem Seal 500T switch stuck

alacrity8

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
From
Albany, NY
Business
Alacrity Frame Workshop
The switch to our Seal 500T has become stuck.
The other day it was stuck in the off position.
I was able to hit it with my fist to turn it one.
It apparently turned off okay.
Today it turned on okay, but won't turn off.

It doesn't appear to be an electrical problem, but a mechanical one.
Before I start pulling the machine apart, does anyone know how best to fix this?

Thanks,
Brian

Larry Peterson

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
From
Wilkes-Barre, PA
If its just the power switch that's bad, a temporary fix is to just use a power strip to turn the machine on/off; assuming that its 120V and less than 15A, I just had the power switch on my 30 YO Delta Contractors saw that I use for cutting acrylic have the same problem. Can't find the model number on the saw and don't have the user's manual so a power strip it is for now until I figure out which saw I actually have.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Jacksonville Beach, FL USA
Business
Sunshine Frames
Get in contact with Wendy at D&K and she'll have the solution or knows someone who does.

Have you replaced the thermostat on this machine? They are notorious for going bad but the fix is good and as permanent as possible.

alacrity8

Forum Donor
From
Albany, NY
Business
Alacrity Frame Workshop
Get in contact with Wendy at D&K and she'll have the solution or knows someone who does.

Have you replaced the thermostat on this machine? They are notorious for going bad but the fix is good and as permanent as possible.

I replaced the thermostat about 2 years ago.
This machine has never been good at staying near desired temp, so we have to watch it.
I'll give Wendy a call, but the fix will likely have to wait until next year.
If its just the power switch that's bad, a temporary fix is to just use a power strip to turn the machine on/off; assuming that its 120V and less than 15A, I just had the power switch on my 30 YO Delta Contractors saw that I use for cutting acrylic have the same problem. Can't find the model number on the saw and don't have the user's manual so a power strip it is for now until I figure out which saw I actually have.

Good plan. I unplugged it earlier, but a temporary switch solution will have to do for now.

Thanks,
Brian

Melinda Tennis

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
From
Lynchburg, VA.
Business
Melinda's
I've had a new thermostat sitting on top of my 500T for about 5 years. I got the special screwdriver for the installation but have never found the right time to do it. I just plug it in to use it. If we get a good big snow, I'll get it done.

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
From
Cincinnati, OH
I would be careful about running the press through a power strip, unless it is an industrial one rated for the amperage being drawn. A cheap one from the hardware store could be a fire hazard.
:cool: Rick

alacrity8

Forum Donor
From
Albany, NY
Business
Alacrity Frame Workshop
I would be careful about running the press through a power strip, unless it is an industrial one rated for the amperage being drawn. A cheap one from the hardware store could be a fire hazard.
:cool: Rick
We tried a power strip we had on hand.
It tripped the built in breaker pretty quickly.
I went out and got a much stronger one, and that seems to work for now.
Most of the ones for sale were only rated to about 3.5 amps. I bought the one rated for 15 amps.
We will keep an eye on it.