Saw Blade Sharpening

Edward Barr

Grumbler in Training
From
Ottawa
Can I take a poll? How often do you sharpen your saw blades? We sharpen roughly every two weeks, after cutting 120-140 wood frames. We cut all types of wood (hardwood, softwood, narrow and wide, with and without compo/gesso). We are using a Pistorius EMN-14 with Ultramitre blades. We rotate three sets of blades and get about two years out of them. Does this seem excessive?

Thanks

Ed

Jerry Ervin

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
North Carolina ... The Picture Frame Capital of th
I personally don't have a defined schedule. It is more of a gut feeling. It really depends what you are cutting more so than how many. If I cut a lot of Oak or Ash, I rotate the blades more often. If I'm cutting the cheap soft import stuff, they last way longer.

Bill Henry-

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
From
Boondock Bowerbank, ME
Business
Retired from the grind
We use our 9 inch, sixty teeth, carbide tip saw only for aluminum frames.

Like Jerry, I go by gut and decide that when the pitch of the saw sounds a little “different”, we change the blade. This blade swap occurs way before we notice any changes in our miters.

Each blade gets sharpened every 4 to 5 months, on average, and, I’m guessing, that is somewhere around 100 frames or so.

Warren Tucker

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
From
Wilmington, NC
Business
Frame Works / Frame Outlet
125 to 150 frames between sharpening is about right for us; that's once a week, normally. We dedicate a saw to wide molding only, a Cassese 939

Warren Tucker

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
From
Wilmington, NC
Business
Frame Works / Frame Outlet
how did that happen? Right in the middle of entering a reply the reply posted itself. I guess i need to be more careful.

... we use 10" blades on a MN100 for 95% of our molding(molding under 2 1/2" wide). We also use mass produced 10" blades. It would be hard to handle the cost of sharpening 14" Industrial blades that often.

You're sharpening each set of your blades a little over 8 times a year. I don't think you can expect to get 24 sharpenings from a blade, or even 16. My guess is 8.

In our experience 14" blades are fraught with problems. The main one being they magnify small arbor runout way more than a 10" blade because of the increased diameter.

It's the gesso/plaster that's dulling your blades. The same blades would cut easily 300 hardwood only frames. Warren