• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Donmar Creations

Question sample display panels

MATTHEW HALE

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
for those of you who have constructed your own panels to display corner samples, what advice do you have regarding substrate material? Plywood? MDF? Other? I have the Veltex and fabric glue - just looking for someone who has done it before so i can benefit from your experience.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I wish I could remember! My veltex is glued to boards, they feel somewhat flexible, or did, as I moved a few years ago. I truly can’t remember, sorry.

Lightweight panels, flexible, have survived since 2008 and moved once.

No matter what, panels are the way to go as they are not permanent and it was very easy to move them to my then new location

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Gator works very well. Whatever you use, make sure it and the Veltex meet local building codes.

tedh

I inherited five 4x8 panels, about 1.5 inches thick, with tongue and groove edges, and the face boards are thin plywood. They’re hollow, like a cheap interior door, are double-sided, and both sides are covered with a Velcro-like dark brown fabric, and have served me well for 18 years. I moved them from the retail location to my home-based operation, and they installed easily. It appears that the fabric has been contacted-cemented to the plywood.

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I think my veltex is glued to luan boards.

Since they are panels and screwed into the walls, removable, fire code/building code is not too strict.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Our are attached with velcro to painted strandboard 'flaps'. Each holds three rows across and is about seven feet tall. There are....fourteen?.....of them, attached to a large strandboard support on the wall. That strandboard support is attached to the wall with special attachment (beyond those shown here). The footprint is about 3 x 15', and holds a few thousand samples. So, short answer: strandboard.

frame sample 2 display area wall sept 21, 2011 (2).jpg

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
We have done this multiple times. Fabric glue wasn't strong enough, but outdoor carpet glue holds up much longer. (Home depot) Veltex holds up well, and carpet is banned here due to it being a fire hazard when hung on a wall. When we opened in 2002, we carpeted the walls and counters. Then moved to Veltex, then moved the shop in 2017 and did the same.
  • One 4 gallon bucket of Roberts 6700 floor adhesive was enough to do about a dozen 4x8 boards. ($32 at the time of this post) Source: Home Depot
  • 25 yards of Veltex fabric was enough to do ten 4x7 (trimmed) boards. $322.50 at Levitt Industrial Textile ($12.90 per yd at time of this post) Source: Levitthookandloop
We did 4x8 sheets, spread thin layer of glue on with a notched trowel, dry overnight under pressure, staple the edges to the back the next day. Butt them up against each other on the wall, and finish with black drywalls screws which are invisible on black Veltex. Very easy to remove in the future when you move or remodel, and super durable.

I can post some pics if you want to see.

There are many ways to do it, but this is what has worked for us.

DVieau2

PFG, Picture Framing God
Hollow core interior slab doors are cheap and lightweight. Available from any home improvement store in a variety of widths. Use interior wood/drywall primer before applying any kind of glue.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
We have done this multiple times. Fabric glue wasn't strong enough, but outdoor carpet glue holds up much longer. (Home depot)

We did 4x8 sheets, spread thin layer of glue on with trowel, dry overnight under pressure, staple the edges to the back the next day. Butt them up against each other on the wall, and finish with black drywalls screws which are invisible on black Veltex. Very easy to remove in the future when you move or remodel, and super durable.

I can post some pics if you want to see.
I've done almost exactly the same thing a number of times.
I have built three different sets of sample walls like that.

We used loop indoor/outdoor carpet instead of velcro material on the panels and it works very well.
You can throw the sample at the wall and it sticks.

I used carpet adhesive from Home Depot applied with a notched trowel and applied the carpet with extra carpet to wrap around the edges later.
Then I used a large roll of Kraft paper as a roller to press the carpet into the adhesive while it was flat on the floor.
I then stacked panel after panel, back to back, front to front on the floor as weight.

Once the panels were set, I wrapped the extra carpet around the edges and stapled.
Then screwed to the walls with drywall screws.
This makes it very easy to move the panels if you ever need to.

Last edited:
Picture framers only resource

prospero

Just as a matter of interest (or not) I once made some panels using 1/4" ply covered with fabric.
To bond the fabric I used strips 2" carpet tape. They became redundant and were stored in an (unheated)
shed for the last 25+ years. Having a clear-out a few weeks ago they went on a bonfire. But.... the fabric
was still stuck fast with a few ancient chevrons clinging on. 😀

Well I thought it was interesting....

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I used contact cement on luan and the fabric used for tradeshow booths. I had more color choices and it seems to hold the Velcro better than the Veltex did.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
It's a cheap board. I think they called it OSB or Chipboard.

alacrity8

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
It's a cheap board. I think they called it OSB or Chipboard.
That looks like MDF in the picture.
We used it as well.
OSB was larger chunks of wood like this:
1593053017091.png
Vinyl flooring adhesive.
We attached cleats to our panels to hang them.
That was likely the first time I had used cleats.

Brian

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
That looks like MDF in the picture.
OSB was larger chunks of wood like this:
View attachment 34598
We did use OSB just like your picture. It is very rigid/unflexible, and the floor glue adheres well to it; with all the texture from the pieces of wood. We did regular plywood at a previous remodel at the old location, but I don't see a reason to spend more for the good stuff.

MATTHEW HALE

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
i had considered OSB, but was afraid that surface might be a little too uneven. glad to know it works, 'cuz that stuff is cheap!

Donmar Creations