• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

Rug fringes again

Frances M.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I think the slit though the mat method will be the best way to handle the fringe on a small rug that I'm framing, but I have a couple of questions before I dive in.

Is 3/16" about right for the slotted opening?

Once you have gotten your fringe through said opening, do you have to do some building up on the backside to level the mounting board? Seems like the matboard from the fringe to the frame rabbet would be raised up where the fringe goes under, though some glue from mat to foamcore might keep it from being too noticeable.

My thought is to cut the slots, stitch carpet to suede matboard, feed fringe through slots and then use (many) dots of glue to attach matboard to foamcore, as opposed to stitch through the mat and foamcore after gluing together. Suggestions appreciated!

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I have had good results with tulle, which leaves the full fringe. The slit method hides the ends.
For smaller items, I have sewn them as well.
Depends on how playful the customer wants it to be.

Frances M.

I have had good results with tulle, which leaves the full fringe. The slit method hides the ends.
For smaller items, I have sewn them as well.
Depends on how playful the customer wants it to be.
With the tulle, what's your process? Do you use a single layer and stretch it over all the fringe and then pull through a slit to attach on the back of the matboard? How much tacking down do you have to do the hold the fringe in place? I'm testing stitching but not happy yet with what it looks like. My idea of doing the slit won't work because the rugmaker has used the fringe to disguise how out of square the carpet it is.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
It depends a little on how much fringe and how thick it is. Get some tulle in a neutral color (or as close to the color of the fringe)
I also make sure the slit is not all the way at the end of the fringe, but more towards the middle, so you can hide it.
It means I have to stitch the tulle in certain places, but I don't have to pull it tight, as long as it stays in place.
You don't want to see the stitches.
When I do stitches without tulle (far more labor intensive of course) I never pull it too tight either, or it does show and I don't like that look at all.

Some customers might not mind seeing a little loose fringe here and there, so it doesn't appear to 'static', especially on the bottom.

Can you post a photo?

Frances M.

Left my phone at home. It is an unusual piece, more of a pictorial than your regular carpet, but from an Iranian family and brought to US by customer. I'm thinking of leaving the bottom fringe free but the top fringe is pretty thick. Going to practice more stitching (on flaw board) then may try the tulle and see how they compare. Thanks for the help.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC
LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.