• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Opinions Wanted roma

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

MnSue

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
so just when I have just decided to open an account with Roma, I heard ANOTHER issue with them...
Are they worth the "projected hassles"? Lots of companies have good moulding....

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
What is this "issue" you heard?
Also, perhaps you can explain the the term 'projected hassles" ?

Kind of hard to respond if you don't provide examples for me to compare to my experiences.

Lafontsee

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
We dropped their entire line due to quality issues.

Your mileage may differ.

James

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Today's Roma is not yesterday's Roma. The thing that will keep them in business is returning to quality frames with consistent finishes. Quality and consistency can apply across a broad range of mouldings, from less to more costly. What doesn't work is sending out beautiful, hand-finished corner samples, then doing a bait and switch with much uglier product. While it's true that aesthetic appeal is in the eye of the beholder, this is about lack of reliability. No amount of vision speak can make up for a lack of reliability. I love Roma, and I sure do hope they can get it together. (But, as James said, 'your mileage may differ.')

Last edited:

Gilder

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
My only complain with Roma that they are so pricy. I like their product though.

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

GreyDrakkon

Forum Donor
Roma's quality has plummeted over the years. I've had to get corner samples replaced twice because they would come in looking nothing like what they used to, and now I just yank the sample off the wall if it comes in different because the cost isn't worth what we give the customer. Our Roma section is MUCH smaller than it used to be because we can only rely on certain finishes from them now.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I don't have Roma, but this issue is a problem among many suppliers. To be fair; to expect a finish to be the same as a 10 year old moulding sample is not realistic. If it happens with newer lines, then it is a bigger issue.
I am usually able to alter the finish to matcht the original sample closer. Some finishes have changed, that are now 'chippier', those samples go in the backroom.

I don't know if that is the case with Roma, but if you like their offerings, why not give it a try? I don't know what issues you are referring to of course, or which other suppliers you are considering.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
One of my biggest gripes is when they change the profile and I still have some shorts left over that now I can't use.

I do like the change of their small black mldg. but it is definitely different.

GreyDrakkon

Forum Donor
I don't have Roma, but this issue is a problem among many suppliers. To be fair; to expect a finish to be the same as a 10 year old moulding sample is not realistic. If it happens with newer lines, then it is a bigger issue.
I am usually able to alter the finish to matcht the original sample closer. Some finishes have changed, that are now 'chippier', those samples go in the backroom.

I don't know if that is the case with Roma, but if you like their offerings, why not give it a try? I don't know what issues you are referring to of course, or which other suppliers you are considering.

I've encountered that every now and again with suppliers of course, but in the case of Roma it was like a light switch getting flipped where a few lines that we would order a few times a year suddenly dropped in quality a LOT, I was able to salvage the frames after spending a bunch of time on it but I didn't look forward to doing that every time I ordered it, so I ordered new corner samples to match what they now had. Right after they sent them, the quality dropped again, so I had to get samples all over. It was at that point that I had the samples sitting side by side that an advertiser of ours walked in and commented on how bad one set looked compared to the other, and she's just a lay person.

They do have certain lines that are still good, but I'm definitely gun shy of them.

cjmst3k

I'm a big roma fan. We just sold two 9x12's for $750 each (had it in stock from a previous order) and that moulding has been very consistent.

I'm sure there's variances with other profiles / finishes, but I'm a fan of their products.

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

Mary Beth van der Horst

True Grumbler
I don't order much from Roma, but I keep them on because I have a really big crush on their Vintage frames with the little heart scrolls and the colored country collection. That being said, the former has unpredictable distressing on some colors and the latter has strong woodgrain that you can't expect to be 100% consistant either. It's just part of their character, and I tend to explain that they can vary a bit as part of the design procedure. That tends to root out the most OCD customers that wouldn't be comfortable taking a risk in variation, but the ppl who do agree to use them, LOVE them! Have not had any problems with Roma as a company either, just that I wish I could get their stuff delivered rather than shipped.

I will say that RO15298 has varied from a denim blue to a navy, but I think more often than not, it suits the work if the texture was part of the initial design. Here are two different pieces I did recently with it: trip to moon.jpg IMG_0046[1].JPG

Bruce Papier

We use a ton of their simple black mouldings and are generally very happy with them. As others have mentioned, the problems come in when you get involved with the hand finished profiles. They warn you on the samples the finishes will vary and, boy!, do they. Our other problem is Roma fills Italian orders first, so you may have to wait for quite a long time on some backorders.

MnSue

thanks all...
I keep hearing about their outages, sample color variances, and lack of/poor customer (partner??) service.
It's too frequently mentioned to ignore vs the majority of vendors- who at least provide CS. It's high level of dis satisfied issue of handling and corrections of said issues that I don't want in my "perceived projected hassles" of them as a vendor....

Disclaimer: I was a IM rep for almost 8 yrs so most vendor issues I have a good understanding of and can work with "as I've walked in those shoes"