Restoration tape?


MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Aug 28, 2002
eastern pa
A customer came in today looking for something called 'restoration tape'. Apparently a conservator recommended it to him to line the rabbet of his frame to keep a relatively fresh oil painting from sticking to the wood. He said the tape is light green and is sort of waxy. I have no idea what he's talking about. Anybody have a clue?
Volara tape is used for that purpose, but it is black and looks something like thin weather-stripping tape. Its surface is smooth and slick -- I guess it could be called waxy, but I've not seen it in green color.
Bob, I think you're thinking of mending tape.

But I can't think of any reason to line the frame with mending tape unless you have a sprained miter joint....LOL

Green? Waxy.........mmmmmm..... Floral Tape? Used by blooming idiots or sold to them anyway... :D
Ignore customer and stick with Jim. We use Volara tape all the time on canvases--or is it "canvi?"==and the results are archival and wonderful
Baer, that's the tape I meant. However I didn't mean to imply that I thought it would be worth doing! Just thought that it might be like when customers ask for "acid-free" glass, or when they insist that Non-Glare blocks UV best because it limits all the light wavelengths, and UV only blocks the rays you do see anyways.

I don't see how lining the rabbet with tissue thin tape would work, just thought that might have been how the customer intrepreted the information they were given.

A little <strike>mis</strike>education goes a long way to greatly <strike>un</strike>informing the <strike>un</strike>knowledgable customer.
Let's make a distinction between a rabbet liner that keeps an oil painting from sticking to the rabbet, and a rabbet liner that provides a barrier against chemical migration. They are two completely different things.

The Volara described above would be my choice for the oil painting.

In framing we have only two "absolute" barriers against chemical migration: glass and metal. Glass is a bit unwieldy for lining rabbets, so I use Lineco's foil tape made for that purpose.