• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Removing Spacer Adhesive From Museum Acrylic

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Know of anything that can remove spacer adhesive from Museum acrylic, so the sheet can still be used?

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
I believe WD-40 would dissolve the adhesive if the carrier has been removed already, an I don't think the solvent would attack the anti-reflection coating...But I'm not sure, so test it in an inconspicuous spot. Removing the WD-40 is the next challenge.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
I believe WD-40 would dissolve the adhesive if the carrier has been removed already, an I don't think the solvent would attack the anti-reflection coating...But I'm not sure, so test it in an inconspicuous spot. Removing the WD-40 is the next challenge.
Customer brought in a photo/sign that they'd had outside, then had framed with museum acrylic and spacers. After that, it was either put outside again, or stored in a roasting hot unit (or U-Haul truck?). The spacer has heated and bowed out so much over time, back and forth, that the inside of the acrylic had adhesive 1 1/2" in on two sides. Wouldn't be a problem, except an area at the top of the image stuck to the acrylic. We didn't know it had stuck, and didn't expect it to, being acrylic. When we took the fitting apart, part of the image (which I'd thought was a metal sign, but turned out to be paper surfaced), tore up. A section about 1 x 3" is plastered to the acrylic, which also has the goop from the adhesive on those two sides. It's also signed and numbered on the back. Oy.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
This seems like a good time to suggest using spacers that clip to the glass, such as FrameSpace, and avoid the adhesive type.
Words of wisdom. If only the shop that first framed it could see it now.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
1 to 1 mixture 90% alcohol and distilled water. I use that mixture to clean acrylic and glass in place of glass cleaner. Works great but be careful with the moulding, it doesn't bother most moulding except for the cheap Asian stuff.

I am not a proponent of Lighter Fluid or Acetone - they can soften, cloud, and damage acrylic.

Airpag Corner, packing solution for frame shipping

Conservator
Business
retired
Always test, but in my experience, basic paint thinner aka mineral spirits might be your best bet. The trick is to limit the spread of the solvent, then sort of 'roll' off the softened residue w/ off with a swab; the LAST thing you want to do is spread the softened adhesive around. Paint thinner can leave an oily residue. A weak alkaline (soap, detergent) or acetone will remove it.

Two or three swipes on a bar of soap with a damp rag or brush gives great cleaning power. Try it when you have a dish or two to clean

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Yesterday, I remembered part of the story. When she brought it in, she said, 'This is the one piece of art that survived our house fire!'. So, that explains the extreme melty heatness of the spacers. They really crawled around. But, it's been so long since their fire, I doubt they could add this to the claim. I wonder if there's a time limit.

Pat Murphey

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I'm late to the party, but Goo-Gone will remove most "sticky" adhesives, and cleans off easily with glass cleaner.

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades