• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Removing protective material on Optium...

FFW

Grumbler in Training
Why is protective material on Optium Musuem acrylic so hard to remove??? It was not always this way. Is it old stock I'm getting??

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Hi, FFW. If you cut it from an in-house box, perhaps you could call Tru-Vue with the batch number, to see when it was made.

On larger pieces, I tend to use a tube for rolling the protective material off. Haven't had much trouble with Museum acrylic, but it's been several months since I did one. Your note does bring to mind the scratch-resistant conservation clear acrylic they tried several years ago. The two parts of the protective material didn't stay with each other, so the paper would tear up, leaving the plastic-y stuff on the acrylic, It also came off just in tiny little patches. Nightmare, and I wasn't surprised when it was disco'd.

FFW

Grumbler in Training
Thanks, Shayla. Naturally this happens when I am working on 76 frames, and naturally this happens over the holiday when no one is around at my distributor's or at Tru Vue. My solution is to use the heat gun to soften the plastic protective skin being mindful that I do not melt the plastic protective layer or the acrylic sheet itself. The whole time I am struggling with it I am thinking this is B stock. Some clever sales person sold this defective stuff...that is an ugly train of thought, forget that. I simply cannot believe Tru Vue's QA people would let this ridiculous material find it's way to a framing business.

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Thanks, Shayla. Naturally this happens when I am working on 76 frames, and naturally this happens over the holiday when no one is around at my distributor's or at Tru Vue. My solution is to use the heat gun to soften the plastic protective skin being mindful that I do not melt the plastic protective layer or the acrylic sheet itself. The whole time I am struggling with it I am thinking this is B stock. Some clever sales person sold this defective stuff...that is an ugly train of thought, forget that. I simply cannot believe Tru Vue's QA people would let this ridiculous material find it's way to a framing business.
Is there any chance the temperature was really different from where you had it stored to where you removed the coating? Maybe that has nothing to do with it, but it comes to mind. (Bear in mind....I'm not one of the framing gurus, just another regular framer). Or I wonder if it froze on the way to you, and whether that would affect it? Or, if you got it in summertime, if it got really hot on the way?

We just started selling Optium Museum Acrylic a couple years ago, and so far, have sold maybe eight pieces. I love it, though, and am wanting to sell more. I was surprised, though, to find that it's not completely perfect. My very first 24 x 36 had places where the coating hadn't properly laid down, leaving little tunnels of air. This made blue marks on the sheet that nothing would take off. We finally figured out that light oil took it off, then we'd have to clean that off. I got a sheet in last year with a few specky flaws in it. Hard, because you can pre-check glass, but with this stuff, you can't see it until you peel off the coating. I hope that the rest of the job goes well.

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
The only time I've experienced this phenomenon of super-tenaciously stuck protective masking, and having it come off in flaky patches, is when I have tried to use cutoffs that have been sitting around for a long time. So I would suspect the old stock theory might be the answer.
:cool: Rick

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I have never had trouble removing the film whether it is fresh from the box or something I have ordered cut by a distributor. It should peel off very easily....easier than any of the others. When I learned this I was ecstatic.

I have since discovered the Tru Vue regular acrylic has a film that is nearly as easy to remove, and have begun to use it exclusively for this reason.

Life is just to short to save a few pennies and have to struggle with a tube to remove the kraft paper/film combination on most of the others.

I agree that if it is both old and has been stored flat, the combination might make it difficult to remove.

Register for the picture framer's grumble