Removing Cellophane Tape!

Micah

True Grumbler
Business
Washington Color Gallery
Folks:

Client has brought in a series of photographs which have all been taped together into a long strip. They want this strip of photographs framed. Fine. But I don't like the cellophane tape that holds it all together--and I can't easily remove it.

Does anyone have any advice on how to remove cellophane tape from the front of a photograph?

Micah

My question is:

Did the customer ASK you to remove the tape or is this something you thought you want to do and don't know how?

2 entirely different scenarios here.
If she ASKED you, say no.
If you just want to because you think it would look better, don't.

Either way, leave it alone.
If she was ok with the tape then leave it alone!

Se where I'm going with this?
Based on your post, it really sounds like it is only YOU who wants to mess with it.

I agree with framah, leave it alone or send it to a conservator. Can you spell liability (I had to have my spell checker make it right) if you try to do it?

I concur. Don't make a bad situation worse.
If they can't be matted/framed without the tape showing then scan, digital editing and reprint would be my solution.
I do that a fair bit.
Help the client understand that if these photos are the only existing copies AND they are in not great condition, displaying them in a frame is NOT going to preserve them without a high degree of conservation methods and materials.
Safer to make good quality duplicates, frame those, and have the originals safely stored away.
I usually email a copy of the digital scans to my client as well, so they can share with family and friends, and always have new copies made without having to re-scan and edit the originals repeatedly.

What Niko^ said.
Scanning, doing some repairs in photoshop (that's the best and easiest way to remove the tape, and to freshen up the images), and printing them would be the way to go.

Folks:

Client has brought in a series of photographs which have all been taped together into a long strip. They want this strip of photographs framed. Fine. But I don't like the cellophane tape that holds it all together--and I can't easily remove it.

Does anyone have any advice on how to remove cellophane tape from the front of a photograph?

Micah
I cannot think of any way to remove the tape without damaging the pictures….scanning and Photoshop is the best alternative. But being realistic, I doubt that the customer would want to pay for your time to accomplish all the work that would be involved!

I thought this conversation was about Cell Phone Tape.

I agree with what the others have said.
Trying and failing to remove the tape will have bad results.
Best leave it alone, or have a conservator deal with it.

OK! Thank you, everyone, for the feedback! :)

I'd hoped that there was a simple way to remove the cellophane tape. This framing job is going to cost a bloody fortune already because of its size, and while the client doesn't really care about cost she probably won't want to spend thousands more on a conservator!

Just one more point here: If this is like most cellophane tape I have seen it is only a matter of time before the tape turns yellow, the adhesive goes crusty and it starts falling off. exposure to light in a frame will probably accelerate this process. Any attempt at removal will simply rip the emulsion or ink off the surface.

As previous posters have said - scanning and photoshop is the only way to save this artwork.

Sage advice from my learned friends. 🙂

There is a saying this side of the pond: "If in doubt, do nowt"

I assume the tape is a species of Sellotape™. This is what most non-framers would have in the house and
what is likely to have been used. Unfortunately, it is poison in terms of long-term preservation. Generally the
carrier detaches from the glue leaving a brown stain. Digital restoration + reprinting is the solution, or just go
with what you've got. Trying to 'improve' the original is not advisable as you'll likely make it worse.

If your customer wants to frame the original right now, tape and all, here's something you might mention. They could still get it scanned before framing, and save the image for future editing/printing. It would be great if they'd pony up for all of it, but....humans. :)

Last edited:
In my studio (I'm also a photog) I would copy and reprint. Frame the reprints and return the originals in an envelope attached to the back of the frame.

In my studio (I'm also a photog) I would copy and reprint. Frame the reprints and return the originals in an envelope attached to the back of the frame.
This is interesting…..how many of the framers on this site do photoshop and scanning work for their customers? What percentage of this biz does this represent?

This is interesting…..how many of the framers on this site do photoshop and scanning work for their customers? What percentage of this biz does this represent?
Every shop will be different.
Photo & Framing is part of our name.
We do a fair bit of this type of work.
I don't deal with the "business end" of things so don't know the actual numbers, but the Photo department is a significant part of our monthly income.
Our biggest advantage is that we are the only shop in this small town that offers any of these services.

I have basic Photoshop skills and occasionally did scan and touch up work on (good) customers' work but only with their permission and usually for no charge. If anything remotely advanced is needed I had a couple of very good photo labs near me and am happy to refer them there.

When I did that I usually offered to get them a quote, took the artwork to the lab and collected it myself afterwards. That way it stayed under my control and didn't get taken elsewhere for framing or shoved into a cheap readymade frame.

Back