Redlin prints

simplymatted

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
A family member of a framer who passed several years ago contacted me about buying about 150 prints. About 40 of these are Terry Redlin. All of the prints are marked at what he was selling them for. I would say an average of $100 each for the Redlin's.

Any guidance on this would be helpful.

I saw that too. Is it me or does that seem over priced? Im wondering about a price to buy and resell in my store. I know there are variables, but has to be a bench mark somewhere.

In my experience the limited edition print market is in the toilet. If you feel you have the market then you might want to pursue it, but I'd be very wary. When was the last time you had someone ask for Redlin prints?

Almost daily I have people stop in or call our gallery. They are downsizing... or their parents just passed away... or their tastes have changed. They want to sell their art. Indeed I probably field as many requests to buy people's art as I do customers wanting to buy art.

I don't mean to dissuade you, but unless you can buy them very inexpensively, are willing to invest money marketing them and are also willing to sit on them for a long long time, I'd pass on them.

They are not in the toilet.

They were flushed way past the cr*pper long ago. I think I saw a few floating in Lake Ontario. However...... an older couple came in just today wanting to replace a sun-bleached limited edition. This was is the first time in four or five years I have actually been asked to supply a limited edition.

Whoopee.

And, by the way: I was at the annual fish and game dinner and auction a month ago, a great place to unload wildlife art. A freshly-framed limited edition did not pass $150. And that was Canadian $.

With the print market so bad these days I would probably pass however you know your area. If you thought there would be interest maybe entertain doing them on commission. Just draw up a list, set an agreeable retail price and go from there. Pay as they sell.

There isn't much value to any wild life art anymore. At one time I couldn't keep it in my shop and I framed a ton of it. Now it comes in every once in a while, maybe once or twice a year. Unless you can get the prints at embarrassing low prices don't waste the time or money, you will be sitting on them for a long time. Lots of luck with your decision.

Joe B

Last edited:
When clicking this link be sure to scroll down the left side "Categories" and check the "Completed Items" box. Some of the listings simply ended with no sale. However, I see several marked "SOLD" at decent prices. One unframed paper print (edition size 9,500!!) sold for $400.00. Sure don't see that everyday. I noticed a couple whose price had a strike through line across it. Not sure if that means the seller took a "best offer" or not.

Back