Rare Earth Magnets

E

El Framo

I had the good fortune of attending one of Jim Miller's shadowbox classes in Atlanta, and am having a litle bit of trouble with execution. I am using the above mentioned magnets, and am having trouble securing them in the frame. I have used hot glue, but to no avail. What does anyone else use for this? Jim, if you are out there, could you weigh in?

Framerguy

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
Destin, Florida
I too attended Jim's class in Atlanta and I use the rare earth magnets on certain applications where access to the shahowbox is needed.

I drill 1/4" holes in the back frame and test fit the rare earth magnets to make sure that they are deep enough. Then I mix a small quantity of any good 2 part epoxy adhesive and apply a dab to the hole. I insert the magnets into each hole and and seat them tightly.

I haven't had a single magnet come loose or pull out of the hole so far. I use a 5 minute 2 part epoxy that can be bought at any hardware store for a few bucks. They usually come in a double plunger type container that pushes out equal quantities of the epoxy and hardener.

Framerguy

printmaker

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
From
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada