rabbet space v.s. offset clips

geperry

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
From
Round Pond, ME
Business
self
Seems like everyone is usiing rabbetspace these days. What happened to offset clips? Does rabbetspace do a much better job? And do you put your backing paper over or under rabbetspace?

Cliff Wilson

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Vendor
From
Worcester, MA
With Rabbet Space, I will sometimes seal the package and use a black board on the back and not put paper on. The RSpace sticking out can make the paper bunch up and a nice clean black backing board with mitered Rabbetspace looks much cleaner and with the sealed package it's still at least as protected as paper backing.

Jerry Ervin

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
North Carolina ... The Picture Frame Capital of th
Good point Cliff! I tried a couple that way and went back to using the paper. I use the 60lb paper, it is a little thicker and doesn't wrinkle as much. The mitered Rabbitspace does look good if you use the tiny little black screws that comes with it. Did I mention, I hate those tiny little screws?

Greg Fremstad

From
Eugene OR
I recommend tape sealing the glass -art- backing package when using RabbetSpace. Then you dont have to paper the back over the RabbetSpace. The little black screws ARE a pain but the special drill bit, the magnetic bit holder, and long reach phillips bit that we made available really make the project go quickly. It also looks a whole lot better than papering over offset clips. Watch the video about RabbetSpace on the FrameTek web page.

Less

From
ZZ
I try to avoid using the stuff at all costs.

I find it a pain to work with. I will say it's nice to have as an option.

A little redesign might make it a lot friendlier to use.

I like those little black screws. I use them for all sorts of stuff.

Tommy P

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
From
Mid North Indiana
Jerry

I was using 60# black paper, loved it. When I went to re-order they said they never carried it. Said I (they) must have got it by mistake. Where do you get yours?

FB

Bob Doyle

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
From
South Berwick, Maine
Originally posted by Greg Fremstad:
The little black screws ARE a pain but the special drill bit, the magnetic bit holder, and long reach phillips bit that we made available really make the project go quickly.
Why not use the Square drive screws? They're from Canada, you know.