quantity over quality?

sawtoothgal

Grumbler in Training
Hello folks, I have to say that I really love the Grumble and it has been the "light" to my framing career. I need to hear this from other framers, how long should it take for anyone to be able to mount a piece of clothing, say a sports jersey, to mat board by sewing and strecthing,no spray. Keep in mind that everything has to be ironed, tucked, centered and measured out so all the mat borders are even all the way around the thing. He says 1 hour max. He says quantity can be quality, it can if I worked at a Coca Cola plant but to some extent it can be but for a piece that's difficult, I like to take my time. Is there a trick to this? Didn't mean to bore anyone....Thanks

" NANU NANU" Mork and Mindy

Welcome;

I would say that 1 hour would be a "good average" in that some jerseys are square and others are not. It will vary with how many puckers have to be evened out and how it will flat without effort.

One hour is "reasonable" for a jersey. I've done many and it is much easier to sew through cloth covered foam core than matboard, it looks nicer too. I lay the jersey on the board and center it in place, then I take straight pins and pin the jersey down in place, this keeps it from moving while sewing. I always use invisiable thread and stitch about every 6-8 inches. For wool jerseys I've used fishing line because it's stronger. Also the thread can stretch so when I'm done I take framers tape and tape down the thread/ fishingline on the back to prevent any stretching or sagging. Hope this helps!!

Thank you guys for your reply, some jerseys are harder to work with than others, some aren't very square either. I'm not quite at 547 but someday, as long golden fingers work. I will try to master the art and use my time effeciently. Do you have any techniques that you use for this type of mount?

we do it much like frmallday does. we use to use gator foam (still do on lrgr/hvyr things) but now usually use mighty-core, which is more rigid than reg foam board but easier to puncture for sewing than gator.

Back