• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Searching For Quality easel backs

Melinda Tennis

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Forum Donor
Hey Grumblers, Do any of y'all have a source for good quality easel backs. The latest ones I got from United/Decor were really too thin. They're OK for small pictures but not for an 8x10 or larger. The 14x18's have a heavier arm but the base is just as thin as the 11x14's. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
The problem with stock Easels is that one size does not fit all. An Easel Back has to have the drop of the leg sized so that the Easel sits properly. You can't use an Easel Back sized for a 3/4" moulding with a 2" moulding.

Here are two Easels shown on a 2 1/4" moulding. One is a stock size, the other is sized for the moulding.

badEasel.jpg

Most stock Easel Backs have a very small drop and will work properly with only some narrow mouldings.

The only way around this is to make your own. I make mine using stuff from https://craft-inc.com/

Melinda Tennis

Forum Donor
Thanks Larry, I'm looking for a source for the easels themselves, not frames with easel backs. I do use heavier duty easel backs and cut them down to size. The 11x14's I got just aren't even good enough to cut down to 8x10.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Thanks Larry, I'm looking for a source for the easels themselves, not frames with easel backs. I do use heavier duty easel backs and cut them down to size. The 11x14's I got just aren't even good enough to cut down to 8x10.
Craft-inc just supplies the parts to make Easel Backs. The frame in those photos is mine. I make the Easel Backs from Craft-inc parts to fit the frames.

Reactions: cvm

Melinda Tennis

Forum Donor
Thanks again, Larry. I checked out their site and I will order some to use. It's good to know they have the parts for making my own.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Cliff Wilson

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I also use the Craft Inc parts. I used to order from various sources in bulk. Never had a strong enough leg on them. The Craft ones are the strongest I've found.
If you're going to WCAF visit their booth.

Reactions: cvm

Ruby

True Grumbler
Easel.jpeg

I have found these to be useful. They the length can be cut down, the leg can be adjusted, or removed for hanging. They are made out of plastic so they don't absorb moisture and become weak and floppy. I got a batch at United when they were in business and haven't tried to buy them since.

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
We use craft inc as well. They are excellent, we can make a ton very quickly and they even have the ribbon attachment you can apply to heavier frames to prevent easel leg splay.

Melinda Tennis

Forum Donor
Thank you all very much.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com